First egg layer being picked on

Tight space in that prefab coop.......that can exacerbate pecking order issues because the subordinate birds can't get the 4-6 feet away from the dominant ones.
Instead of buying another small coop, get a bigger one for living and use the prefab for isolation.

Also, onset of lay is rife with conflict due to hormones running high and laying birds typically being higher in the pecking order.
But—the part about conflict being high with the onset of laying bc it hormones makes sense.
I just reintroduced the bully. She went right back to bullying the Wyandotte but now my other bird is bullying the bully. 🤦🏼‍♀️

They have way more room than just that coop. That was just taken at night while they were sleeping. I have about a 30’ x 18’ run. There are plenty of places they can sleep too.
Even with a large run a crowded coop can create bad behaviors.
You can see how close the second roost is, not really room for birds on there.
Where else can they sleep?

Even with a large run a crowded coop can create bad behaviors.
You can see how close the second roost is, not really room for birds on there.
Where else can they sleep?
I see what you’re saying now—very well could he too crowded now with them larger but they didn’t have that issue before. There is another roost outside this part in the photo that I noticed the bully on last night. They are doing slightly better today too. Fingers crossed that continues. I don’t have the means to build a larger coop at the moment. But your info is very helpful (as I’m new to this and thought/was told this was enough room 😱) and I will look into something larger in the near future for sure.

There is another roost outside this part in the photo that I noticed the bully on last night.
Is your run weather and predator proof?
Pics of run?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Samsurgany
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1601812468566.png

Is your run weather and predator proof?
Pics of run?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Samsurgany
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2359481
Hello!
Salt lake city Utah area! So we get cold in the winter and hot in the summer!
yes our coop is weather proofed. I used a very high quality weather stain and wood seal on the coop before our girls were out of their brooder. I know it’s not the “best” coop but it was the best I could do at the time. We have our electrician scheduled this coming Friday to run electrical out to the side of our yard the chickens are on—so I can put a light in the coop, some heating pads (or anything anyone recommends for warmth on our 0°F nights) and water deicer. It is predator proof. We live in an urban area. My neighbor has 20 hens (and has had chickens for 15+ years) and she has never had any predators besides maybe a house cat....but my run is safe...I dug deep and put wiring 1 foot in the ground and buried it. Are our father coop and the run as well. The girls sleep in their coop at night and I close their door and open it in the morning. They have multiple feed and water stations too.
we also have a bunny hutch in the back but they are used to and happy with our bunny and she with them. They’ve all been together since they were little. Before the hormones went crazy everyone was happy and we had a pleasant little urban farm.

Attachments

• 9D827B9C-9A4D-4F33-A166-5529579BF5FC.jpeg
    9D827B9C-9A4D-4F33-A166-5529579BF5FC.jpeg
    597.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 6A9A9A03-0B69-4474-9B0E-3D5FBBB35F4C.jpeg
    6A9A9A03-0B69-4474-9B0E-3D5FBBB35F4C.jpeg
    632.4 KB · Views: 4
  • B799D101-1ED7-485F-9CF5-1C6D5F81290D.jpeg
    B799D101-1ED7-485F-9CF5-1C6D5F81290D.jpeg
    606.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 5F0DD912-70F8-4EB9-AA07-357BECF1D19D.jpeg
    5F0DD912-70F8-4EB9-AA07-357BECF1D19D.jpeg