First egg layer being picked on

Is this part of the roof edge open to the inside for ventilation?
View attachment 2360903

Is that a poodle dog? <3
Yes that part is open for venting on both sides and there is a little window in the back I can open for cross ventilation if needed.
Yes!—She is part poodle part Australian Shepard. Our birds like to look at her through the fence and and she likes to lay in the grass and sleep by them. It’s pretty cute. She knows not to sniff too close or her nose gets pecked. 😂

But is the large run weather proofed?

Might want to look at this, rearrange your coop a bit:
Here's an excellent modification to that kind of coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535
Also yes—the large part of our run has covered areas as well as open areas to allow for sunlight. They are also blocked from heavy winds on this side of the house. It has a good mix of cover and open green grass for them to peck around in. So in a sense—yes it’s weather proofed as much as is needed without closing them in too much to not have good outside free range scratching and pecking.
Yesterday was better than the day before and today is even better. I think they are learning to be ok around each other (since reintroducing the bully). They are all pecking and scratching around the grass and dirt closer and more happily. 🤞 it continues to get better. Hoping, once all are laying, that hormones chill a little too. I’ll make those modifications so they have more roosting and utilize the space too

I've read your post with interest. The pecking order is alway a difficult one for "kind-hearted" people.
I want to add that the first layers in my flocks have usually been the most dominant. Probably because they are the most mature. Also, my Wyandotte's have been the "pickers" rather than the "picked on". That goes to show, it's all an experiment. Keep trying new things, hopefully, something will work. Good luck:fl!

Yes that part is open for venting on both sides
That's good, something most pre-fab's don't have.

Yes!—She is part poodle part Australian Shepard.
A Shepoodle? :gig
Those crosses can be odd, my niece has a Bernepoodle, 1/4 Bernese Mtn. Dog, 3/4 std poodle
Had a Std Poodle for 13 years, best dog ever!

Back
Top Bottom