Ditto Dat.

Also might want to add a higher front to nest(4-6" above bedding), and pack down the bedding... tho they will likely tear it up at first, that will subside as they get used to laying.
A fake egg in each nest might also be good.
Thanks for your advice! I totally agree about raising the fronts to keep the bedding separate from the nest boxes, that’s a smart idea. I was a little disappointed in that aspect of the coop, as it leaves little room for deep litter both in front of the boxes and at the doorways.

I may order some fake eggs soon. I had thought about it, but figured it was only necessary if they lay in the wrong place first. I guess it could be motivating too!

Last edited:
I may order some fake eggs soon. I had thought about it, but figured it was only necessary if they lay in the wrong place first. I guess it could be motivating too!
It's an easy way to help new layers figure out where to lay, as their instinct tells them that if another bird already laid there, it must be safe. Fakes don't speed up laying or anything though.

You don't specifically need to order fakes though. If you have golf balls sitting around, those are easy to use as they won't ever accidentally get mistaken by humans as eggs when you go to gather them.

Squatting behavior is a sign of submission, usually made befored a rooster, indicating the hen is ready to mate. They will also crouch down before hens higher in the pecking order and before their caretakers who they may view as the protective rooster. Because this behavior starts when they become sexually mature, you can expect eggs to come next, sooner, rather than later.

Squatting behavior is a sign of submission, usually made befored a rooster, indicating the hen is ready to mate. They will also crouch down before hens higher in the pecking order and before their caretakers who they may view as the protective rooster. Because this behavior starts when they become sexually mature, you can expect eggs to come next, sooner, rather than later.
Interesting that they’ll also squat in front of hens! Maybe if I spot this happening I’ll gain some insight into their pecking order, as it doesn’t seem very clear cut yet. The Marans peck the Dominique, the Welsummer pecks and chases away the Marans to defend the Dominique, the Dominique occasionally pecks the Welsummer, lol.

I’m always helping them find the choicest weeds out of my lawn, handing them individual plantain and dandelion leaves. Not at all surprised if they see this as me tidbitting for them, and assume that I’m their rooster!

Quick update: No eggs yet, but Juillet (my Cuckoo Marans who has been squatting for me) seems to be really hot all the time. She is frequently panting and holding her shoulders away from her body to cool herself down. Is this behavior related to a rush of hormones? She has always gotten hot very easily (I assume because she is black and extremely fluffy), but it’s been cool outside yet she’s behaving like it’s the height of summer. Should I give her some electrolytes?

Panting can be stress related.

Probably wouldn't hurt.
Thanks, I’ll give it a try! She’s loud and agitated today, checked out the nest boxes twice. We’re removing the farthest divider on either side today, to give her two large nesting areas on the sides and two small ones in the middle. Hopefully she likes them! :fl

Juillet’s first egg (and our first egg) has been laid! Yay!:wee

She laid it sometime around 9am, a beautiful medium sized brown egg, one week after she started squatting. It was so lovely I blew it out so that I could admire it forever!:love

3FCFACAE-30F9-493D-B68F-1B3BFE6B83E9.jpeg

Here it is in comparison with a store bought large egg:

2262122A-1F0D-4AAB-BB86-6FDF6D6D24F7.jpeg
8E1D9575-5425-447C-A81C-3CBA1926E185.jpeg

It tasted remarkably like the store bought egg, lol. My husband did a blind taste test and couldn’t distinguish any difference. Still, I am glad that it tastes normal, and it clearly is healthier since I know Juillet is eating all organic feed along with lots of greens and bugs.

As to behavior, she stayed loud right up until the egg was laid. I missed her egg song unfortunately, but there will be many other opportunities I hope. I knew she was close to laying yesterday, because she started eating the eggshells I had put out for them weeks ago (along with oyster shells), whereas previously I couldn’t get her to take any interest. She also had been excited to inspect the nest boxes yesterday and this morning. Just FYI, she chose one of the large nest boxes, the one closest to the human door.

What a wonderful chicken she is, I love her dearly!

BC8C5CA8-DA28-4E98-BDAB-22908EE162B7.jpeg
A8B6F31F-09AA-4897-A9EA-14F2D6F48085.jpeg

Interesting that they’ll also squat in front of hens! Maybe if I spot this happening I’ll gain some insight into their pecking order, as it doesn’t seem very clear cut yet.
Squatting for anybody other than the rooster is very individual though. Some hens will only ever squat for a rooster and never for humans or other hens. Others are squat-happy and will squat for anybody they deem superior. So relying on that to figure out pecking order isn't reliable. It's also more likely for them to squat for another hen (if at all) if she outranks them by far, like if she's of an older generation. The superiority between generations is much more pronounced than that between peers.

It tasted remarkably like the store bought egg, lol. My husband did a blind taste test and couldn’t distinguish any difference. Still, I am glad that it tastes normal, and it clearly is healthier since I know Juillet is eating all organic feed along with lots of greens and bugs.
The difference in taste or looks between backyard or store bought eggs is largely overblown. An egg is an egg. Yeah there can be some subtle differences, but if they are so subtle that not everybody is even able to notice them, then they can't be all that important. Especially now that the egg industry has figured out how to tint the yolks orange with feed additives, even that bragging point of backyard chicken keepers has gone away (plus, yolk color isn't indicative of the healthiness of the egg anyway). Most people (myself included) feed their chickens the same type of commercial feed that is used in the industry, too, so even the difference between what the laying hens eat isn't that significant (I doubt the occasional bug or kitchen scrap makes a big difference). And organic doesn't necessarily mean healthier. So, the way I see it, the main bragging points of backyard eggs are freshness, and the satisfying knowledge that your hens have had good lives. That's about it.

Yes, those are definitely signs that eggs are coming - my best thought for time would be anywhere from a few days to a month or so. She is definitely getting red in the face and she looks like a pullet getting ready to start. They all do.
You have beautiful chickens! Hopefully you get some eggs chickens to go with them!

Back
Top Bottom