First eggs!

Chicken-Man

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
your head.... ~(*.*)~
Morning all!! My RIR bantam (Phoenix) is about 10months old and she lives with my silkie hen (Shadow. And shadow has been laying for a while now but Phoenix hasnt, until now. And for the last couple of days i have found 1 normal small white egg (From shadow) along with a another small, oddly shaped white egg with small brown patch. and the brown patch is weak, i broke it WAY to easy.

The funny shaped egg (lets name the funny egg Luke.

Ill add photos in a minute or two***

*Photos*

The first pic is the first Luke I got. (I thought I forgot to collect one day and shadow had an off day) but the others are of today's Luke. I was told that Rhoad island red bantams layer brown eggs... Anyone know info for me? thanks :)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Arkansas55, they nee more calcium. Weak spots are caused by lack of calcium. But they can also happen simply because the pullet is new to laying eggs. But calcium is imperative. Either provide crushed, rinsed eggshells or oyster shells in a dish that is available to them all the time.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Are your hens getting Layer feed? Put out crushed eggshell in a separate container if they need more calcium they will take it

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I would provide some crushed oyster shells in a separate dish for them in their coop. As drumstick diva said, if they need more calcium, they will ingest some of the crushed oyster shell. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your eggs.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

As stated above, make sure they are on a good layer feed and oyster shell on the side. Go easy on the treats and goodies too as they need to eat as much calcium enriched food as they possibly can. Especially in the summer when it is hot outside. They tend to not eat as much as they should.

If it continues to be a problem, figure out who is laying these eggs and you may need to give them extra calcium. I have a hen that I give human calcium to as well as she is older and having a hard time putting a shell on. I use a calcium that also has Vit D3 and Magnesium. I break the pill in half, and then break this half into a few pieces and put them in a couple raisins. She gets a half a calcium pill each day. This helps her put on a hard shell.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom