First flock, first egg laying behaviors.

Thank you. Mine have less comb and wattles. They are just starting to grow.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1686401519525.jpg
    FB_IMG_1686401519525.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20230516_162733191~2.jpg
    PXL_20230516_162733191~2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 28
As the others have told you, and as you found out yourself, not much you can do, and quite frankly not much you should do "pullets have been going through this for thousands of years without human help, you've done your part and now it's up to her" is my new favorite quote. Just to prove how much of an individual thing laying the first egg is, I've been keeping ISA brown in my flock for 11 years, none of mine ever lay before 6 months. Good luck with your new laying birds!
Oh wow!! Very cool! Thank you!!

Thank you. Mine have less comb and wattles. They are just starting to grow.
The one 3rd from left looks like it has more color in the comb.. once all my girls hit 13 weeks I swear they would grow over night. Also if they let you hold them check their wattles. My girls wattles curled under and then one morning I came out and I thought they just popped out lol.. Floras pic shows hers curled a bit. Turns out they were just curled so I didn’t see them. Your pullets look lovely! My two ISA browns are my favorite temperaments of all of them. So fun and interactive!

The one 3rd from left looks like it has more color in the comb.. once all my girls hit 13 weeks I swear they would grow over night. Also if they let you hold them check their wattles. My girls wattles curled under and then one morning I came out and I thought they just popped out lol.. Floras pic shows hers curled a bit. Turns out they were just curled so I didn’t see them. Your pullets look lovely! My two ISA browns are my favorite temperaments of all of them. So fun and interactive!
Believe it or not, they are 3 ISA Browns and 3 Golden Comets. It's really hard to tell them apart unless they are in the sun. And you are right. They seem to grow over night.

Not only can chickens not count, they can't read. They don't know that they are supposed to lay at 18 weeks. It is early but I've had a few pullets start laying at 16 weeks. ISA Browns are known to be a bit early compared to certain other chickens but they also may not start laying for several more weeks. Each chicken is an individual.

It could be. Some pullets look for a safe place to lay starting about a week or so before the first egg comes. It's good that she is considering your nests. Not all pullets do that, some don't seem to know that they will be laying soon and may drop the first eggs anywhere, either while on the roost at night or just walking around. Usually even these seem to get this under control within a few days. Her messing in the nests is probably a good sign she may be laying fairly soon and that her first egg may be in your nest.

Not days before she will start laying. It takes about 25 hours from when the yolk is released to start the egg making process until it is laid. An egg does not get put together in her internal egg making factory and then hang around for days waiting to be laid.

Not really. The fake eggs are a good idea and so is having the nests open so she can consider them at this point. Pullets have been going through this for thousands of years without human help. You've done your part, now it is up to her.

I understand the frustration, impatience, and worry. We've all been through this type of thing, waiting for that first egg. I once waited nine months for a certain three pullets to lay their first egg. The breeder I got them from said they should have been laying well before six months age. Neither of us could figure out what was going on. I anticipate you will not have that problem. Good luck!
Mine did the exact same thing and she laid that day. This morning when I went out to let them out of their outer fenced area, I found another right where she laid the day b4. I was wondering yesterday if she was going to lay again as she was pacing. That was only one day after the first one, so I didnt think she would lay again so soon. But there it was this morning. I know they don't necessarily laid two days in a row. She dropped it again between the waterer and the feed bin. If I can see her when she sits there, perhaps I can move her into the nest. Where did yours lay it?

I got my first egg yesterday at 17 weeks. What a loud bunch. I have 6 ladies and it sounded like all 6 were going to lay. Lol They were digging in every nesting box and ended up just dropping it in the outside run. Let's see what today brings.
Please let us know what happens the next day. I just got my first 2 days ago and she did the same as yours in the outer run. Today was the same. She must have laid very early. I have an auto door that opens on sunrise. I went out about 8 and it was in the same place again. Hope she starts laying in the nests. Id love to know what yours does.

Mine did the exact same thing and she laid that day. This morning when I went out to let them out of their outer fenced area, I found another right where she laid the day b4. I was wondering yesterday if she was going to lay again as she was pacing. That was only one day after the first one, so I didnt think she would lay again so soon. But there it was this morning. I know they don't necessarily laid two days in a row. She dropped it again between the waterer and the feed bin. If I can see her when she sits there, perhaps I can move her into the nest. Where did yours lay it?
She laid in her nesting box. I put training eggs in the coop a couple weeks before they were supposed to start laying. I saw her pacing and would pick her up and hold her and calm her down then out her in her coop where the heating boxes are to relax. Now all my tens have started laying except one and they all are laying in the nesting boxes.

She laid in her nesting box. I put training eggs in the coop a couple weeks before they were supposed to start laying. I saw her pacing and would pick her up and hold her and calm her down then out her in her coop where the heating boxes are to relax. Now all my tens have started laying except one and they all are laying in the nesting boxes.
Thats great. I hope I can catch her when shes close to laying to put her in there. The other 10 have not shown any signs of immediate laying. She started going down on the ground like they do for a rooster when I went to pet her, days b4 she actually laid, so I knew she was close.

Back
Top Bottom