First time broody hen...when they hatch, what do I do?

Food and water is ready for mama and BABIES! 2nd one hatched overnight. Still one more egg to go!

Oh, and she stacked the eggs they hatched out of and placed them in the front of her nesting box. Is this normal? Both eggs stacked neatly together.

My hen also removed the egg shells and placed them in front of the nest. She also pecked at the the eggs shells and slowly ate them. I don't think it is necessary, but at that point I put a small amount of food in front of her which she gobbled right up. I also put a small dish of water within peck's range from which she gladly drank. I think since she doesn't leave during the final hatch she was thankful for the food and water. I later saw the baby chicks drinking from the same water, it made me happy to see the chicks drinking.

Good luck!!!!

Mama ran to grab a bite to eat, so I grabbed a picture.

Those are adorable chicks! Congrats on the hatch and I have my fingers crossed too for the last egg!

You can give them water in any shallow dish and just fill the dish with marbles or small stones, so the chicks don't get wet/drown in it. Food wise you can feed them and mom chick starter. The hen will be fine on chick starter, but the chicks must not eat layer food. The high calcium content damages their organs. Good luck with the hatch!

Hmmm...glad I read this. Guess I better buy a bag of chick starter for the flock......

Egg three didn't make it. Candled it. Water tested it. Cracked it open. I couldn't see an internal pip. The membrane was wrapped tightly around the poor lad. Fully formed. 4 toes on each foot...the ones that hatched each had 5. Nice pretty silver colored down. Makes me sad that it made it so far but didn't hatch.

But, for a first time broody and first time broody watcher (aka me) I call our hatch a success! I have named the new little fuzzballs Pepper and Olive.

Thanks. It has been really fun. I wish I had the time to just sit and watch mama with her babies.

Back
Top Bottom