First time broody turkey, advice needed

Ok, hatching day for my first time broody turkey is tomorrow. One of the poults in the incubator already hatched and walking in the incubator (I had put eggs in the incubator the same day when I put eggs under the turkey). When I came back from work today the turkey was out of the nest having her dust bath. I checked the nest and one of the eggs had a nail size hole and the baby moving inside. I was concerned it will shrink-wrap as mama was outside of the coop and put the egg in the incubator. Mama is back in the nest now, but the weather is too cold to move The egg back in the nest.
Shrink wrapping rarely occurs with eggs in a nest. They are not the same type of conditions that exist inside an incubator. High air volume forced air incubators are the worst for causing shrink wrapping.

Turkey eggs take 28 days and peacocks take 28-29. Both seem to have similar requirements for hatching so I’d think a turkey hen could successfully hatch pea chicks.
This is purely from what I’ve read and not experience.

Waterfowl has different needs for incubation. Example: being sprayed with water, allowed to cool down every so often, ect.
Again, that’s what I’ve read and not experience. But I’d guess that’s why you were told the turkey couldn’t hatch the Muscovy eggs.
Muscovy eggs take 35 days to hatch!

Last edited:
A turkey will sit on a clutch of infertile eggs for months unless forced off of the nest. An extra 2 weeks is nothing. I have had chickens hatch both guinea and turkey eggs which is a week longer than chicken eggs. They do not abandon the nest just because 21 days have gone by.

Putting duck eggs under a turkey is no different than putting them under a duck. The eggs get the necessary moisture from the bird's body, not from pouring water on them. Don't over think things. Birds naturally know how to hatch eggs.
I took her out of the nest today for a walk... she had a long walk and came back in the coop in a different nest! Argh! I am not sure of there are eggs in that second nest, some chicken may have laid... They are all asleep now, will see what happens tomorrow, I am glad I did not buy fertile turkey eggs yet.
When you say hatch duck eggs, what kind of a duck? I only have Muscovy and last year they took 42-43 days to hatch, which is 2 weeks longer that turkey eggs. Plus I read Muscovy need moisture... a lot of moisture.
Thanks for the pea fowl correction :) My birds English language dictionary is still under development :)
As for chicken eggs under a turkey - yes, a common practice here. People put 24 chicken eggs under one turkey.
Muscovy eggs will hatch out any where from 32 to 37 days, 35 days is the norm! not 42 - 43 days way to long!!

Last edited:
Help with a Broody Turkey hen:
I have a Turkey hen sitting on an egg for almost 28 days.
She started laying around May 2nd. All the other eggs for infertile.

I candled the remaining egg last week, I could not see anything the egg was to dark. I did notice the egg was heavy toward the small side of the egg.
My Turkey started making clucking noises for the last 2 days, does this mean the egg will hatch?

Help with a Broody Turkey hen:
I have a Turkey hen sitting on an egg for almost 28 days.
She started laying around May 2nd. All the other eggs for infertile.

I candled the remaining egg last week, I could not see anything the egg was to dark. I did notice the egg was heavy toward the small side of the egg.
My Turkey started making clucking noises for the last 2 days, does this mean the egg will hatch?
One of two possibilities:

1. Egg is about to hatch. In that case you should see an internal pip when candling the egg.

More likely:

2. Egg is rotten. Should be able to see the dark liquid roll back and forth when moving the egg around while trying to candle.

One of two possibilities:

1. Egg is about to hatch. In that case you should see an internal pip when candling the egg.

More likely:

2. Egg is rotten. Should be able to see the dark liquid roll back and forth when moving the egg around while trying to candle.
Thanks. I tried to see the egg but my hen has it under her chest puffed up.
She keeps clucking every so often.
Just a bit ago she puffed up at me did a cluck and click.

Back
Top Bottom