First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Just one of my chicks scares the crap out of me because I find her like all the time and think she's dead!

I kept poking the poor chicks awake thinking they were dying my first couple days when they'd do the wings out, face down downward chick sleep pose! It's worrisome to the new chick mom!!! :lol:

Ok, I am no good at talking anyone down seeing I ordered 5 and paid all the extra money too! I am obsessed with my chickens. They are 2 1/2 weeks old now and hardly any work at all. Even though they sent me an extra one it was dead when it arrived and one died the next day. I have 8 chickens in all now. My 4 new ones are Silkies. I love them! To me they were worth the money. Good luck!

My new babies! First day out in sunshine! They are loving it!

Wondering if I can give them an apple??? Cut up? There about 5 weeks old now? Jen

Wow!! Looks great. We kind of did the same. I went and spoke at our Board of Commissioners meeting about the current ordinance in January. It took a few months to get everything passed. But we started planning and building a little before. Your coop looks awesome.

Ok, I am no good at talking anyone down seeing I ordered 5 and paid all the extra money too! I am obsessed with my chickens. They are 2 1/2 weeks old now and hardly any work at all. Even though they sent me an extra one it was dead when it arrived and one died the next day. I have 8 chickens in all now. My 4 new ones are Silkies. I love them! To me they were worth the money. Good luck!
Oh the chicks are hardly any work, but lest we forget some of us are building chicken moats! The wife and I and our youngest daughters boyfriend spent two days digging 7 holes for 4x4's, placing 5' panels, filling with quickcrete, bracing....THAT IS HARD WORK for an old broken veteran
th.gif
But, that said, it was my idea for chickens, it was my wife and I's plan for the moat and I'm not even close to having half of one side done. Our chickens will love it though, even the six girls we have right now as soon as we move them outside will have 138 sqr feet of run so if my chicken math is right, that's 23 sqr feet of run per hen!!! When it's all done, a flock 20 birds is going to have about 20 sqr feet per bird of run space. So yea I still have a lot of work left.

Back
Top Bottom