First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

I have just the best friends ever
1f60a.png
one of them babysat all day and two others came and were my building assistants for the day. The coop went from 10% to 90% finished!!
Even did the couple things I was going to save for my husband. All we have left is another coat of paint on the poop tray, deck over the floor, and add a couple trim pieces
1f604.png
pictures when it's done

Edit: just found out my friend took this one mid way today
1f60a.png
Those are my feet lol

This is what it started as

Last edited:
I was given mash feed at store, told thats what I needed for chicks that were layers. I just saw that mash was mixed with water? Not sure what I really need.

I was given mash feed at store, told thats what I needed for chicks that were layers. I just saw that mash was mixed with water? Not sure what I really need.

Chick starter is what they need. As they get older a little mash as a treat will not hurt them.

Oh my word the candy Cornish chicks are adorable!!!

We ordered 25 of the leftover chicks from the 5 dual purpose breeds that the hatchery we ordered from carried. We are more excited to have chickens of any kind so didn't really go down a specific breed for yield route---We ended up getting 26 chicks so that's more than enough eggs for us regardless...and I think (from my very inexperienced eye) that we have:

1 x Barred Plymouth Rock
8 x Red Rock Cross
9 x Columbian Rock
8 x orangey chicks that could be either Rhode Island Reds or Red Sussex.

I'm pretty thrilled because we tried to order 24 pullets and 1 cockerel but they told us there would be no cockerels available... Well I have one (and they're only 2 weeks old so I could be totally wrong) that I'm convinced will be my roo!

Where I moved from there is a restaurant called the Tartan Toque that has the best voted wings on Vancouver Island --- and they make the most delicious wing sauces that you can have tossed on their incredible French fries. Our coop is the Tartan Coop and the birds are mostly named after wing sauces. Probably a bit morbid ... But they are all layers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom