First time duck owner

Congratulations on all the egg laying going on. Can you tell me how long your Mama hasn't laid eggs? My mama and her sister stopped laying after the ducklings hatched and that was several months ago. I don't know if that is normal or not. I don't know how old my mama and her sister are as we didn't raise them ourselves, and don't know how many years a duck will lay eggs.

@jchny2000

@lynnhill
That is normal, they may not feel its time to resume. What breed of duck are they, some are more seasonal than others. Breed also would determine age they stop laying too, I would think.
They are Welch Harlequins. I'm hoping they will not stop laying forever. The ducklings were born in May, so they are 5 months old now. My girl duckling is already laying too. At Least we thought it is her that's laying bc her eggs started out a bit smaller than a normal duck egg. They weigh in at 2.95-3 oz now after a little over 30 days.

Last edited:
Quote: @lynnhill
That is normal, they may not feel its time to resume. What breed of duck are they, some are more seasonal than others. Breed also would determine age they stop laying too, I would think.
They are Welch Harlequins. I'm hoping they will not stop laying forever. The ducklings were born in May, so they are 5 months old now. My girl duckling is already laying too. At Least we thought it is her that's laying bc her eggs started out a bit smaller than a normal duck egg. They weigh in at 2.95-3 oz now after a little over 30 days.
I read several commentaries on the breed. Seem to be a good layer! Here is the one that I felt gave good info.
http://www.moosemanorfarms.com/about-welsh-harlequin-ducks.html

Congratulations on all the egg laying going on. Can you tell me how long your Mama hasn't laid eggs? My mama and her sister stopped laying after the ducklings hatched and that was several months ago. I don't know if that is normal or not. I don't know how old my mama and her sister are as we didn't raise them ourselves, and don't know how many years a duck will lay eggs.

@jchny2000
can you answer this for me please? I'm still pretty new to all this. Thank you:)

@jchny2000

@lynnhill

I read several commentaries on the breed. Seem to be a good layer! Here is the one that I felt gave good info.
http://www.moosemanorfarms.com/about-welsh-harlequin-ducks.html

Thank you for this link:)

Quote: can you answer this for me please? I'm still pretty new to all this. Thank you:)
Without knowing the ducks ages, I can't answer honestly. They are a good laying breed, but also a good broody. Your climate and temps are much different than mine in Indiana, so its difficult to give you an honest answer. I do know a hen won't start to lay until she feels her babies are independent of her. You will see it happen. Broody will peck or bump them away and start hanging out with her favorite drake.
My brooding hens really vary. I have 2 girls that will brood 3 nests a year, one has around 20 each time. The other hen is around a dozen. Both are muscovy. My swedish hens are setting on OH my, too many probably 30 eggs about and is still laying!.Those 2 hens won't leave the nest so they have feed and water right there. Each duck and duck breed is different, its part of the fun raising more for your flock.

Hi guys! Have a question along breeding lines... ducks are new here too haha :)

I have a mixed group currently as I end up with a lot of rescues and unwanteds lol... Come the spring, I'd like to hatch out some ducklings - but I'd like at least some of them not to be mixes. So my question is (if I can ask it right lol) if ducks have mates of their own breeds available to them, will they still breed the others? For example, if my pekin drake has pekin girls available, will he try to breed my khakis? Would I have to keep separate pens to prevent this? Does it depend on the breed at all?

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience! :)

Hi guys! Have a question along breeding lines... ducks are new here too haha :)

I have a mixed group currently as I end up with a lot of rescues and unwanteds lol... Come the spring, I'd like to hatch out some ducklings - but I'd like at least some of them not to be mixes. So my question is (if I can ask it right lol) if ducks have mates of their own breeds available to them, will they still breed the others? For example, if my pekin drake has pekin girls available, will he try to breed my khakis? Would I have to keep separate pens to prevent this? Does it depend on the breed at all?

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience! :)
Well "ducks of a feather flock together" is kind of true, but they will not have any problems crossing either. Some drakes are just nonstop after any hen they see, especially in the spring! If you want them pure, am afraid they have to be penned separately.

Is it normal for a pekin not to fly?

I put this make shift child gate up the other day to keep my big birds in the coop while i was cleaning! It was raining and i didnt want them to go bk out for awhile! They were talking about what I had done i think! Lol! Neither of them can fly so it works perfectly!

Is it normal for a pekin not to fly?

I put this make shift child gate up the other day to keep my big birds in the coop while i was cleaning! It was raining and i didnt want them to go bk out for awhile! They were talking about what I had done i think! Lol! Neither of them can fly so it works perfectly!

Most Pekins can't fly. For all of my ducks, 12" chicken wire will keep them penned in a certain area. They could hop and fly over it, I am sure, but they don't know that, and have never expended the extra energy to try :) Anything over shoulder level will keep the lazy ones in a room :)

Back
Top Bottom