First time duck owner

I have a question. My female Rouen is so loud and I've found its when I'm out of her sight and when she's out of food. Is this and expression of her "love" for me? I can't sit with her all day but it's the only time she's quiet. This also just started since we came back from vacation and had our friend looking after them for 9 days. She gave me a piece of her mind when we returned and hasn't shut up since. Starts as SOON as she hears my feet hit the floor in the morning until she sees my face...I have my morning coffee with them and they just sit at my feet quietly but when I go back inside she starts up again. I even leave our back door open all day so she can hear and see me if she wants but unless I'm outside sitting she's won't stop. Only really curious. Our neighbors don't seem to mind and say they can't hear her but I don't know how they can't...shes LOUD. Makes it also a little difficult as I work from home and on conference calls they can hear her. Most laugh and find it amusing but not good when it's an important call. Haha...
Sounds like she might had gotten separation anxiety and now your home she is wanting to make sure your still there and haven't left her again. Sounds like she has other ducks for company? If you raised her and the rest from ducklings then she has a special attachment to you evidently. When having conference calls close the door. I don't know how you can stop this unless therapy might be an option. lol
Try a few things keeping feed out during the day not letting it run out. checking on her often and letting her hear your voice but not giving in and sitting with her every time. Start the day with them as usual then maybe mid morning break then afternoon break. Give them some things to do hang a cabbage head where they can nibble on it also hang romaine lettuce heads where they can eat it. I use plastic fencing for the lettuce I put a large cup hook in the wood then used a pieces of plastic fencing to hold the lettuce and hang on the hook mine love that.

Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
I have a similar issue - if I don't show my face at least every 45 minutes, I hear about it! Oh, and when I start talking on the phone, a few of my ducks think I am talking to them and they start conversing with me. In duck society, it is rude not to verbalize with flock members unless the flock is napping.

I also work from home, and I have to find a spot out of earshot of the ducks to chat for business things. In fact, I just finished a business call from . . . . the night pen! Because the ducks are on the other side of the house in the day pen. The broody duck listened quietly.

Now, when I go away for a while, the neighbors say that most of the time the ducks are quiet until they hear my car coming down the street. They will holler if they're out of food, too.

Last edited:
I have to go visit mine as soon as I get home from work or boy they are not happy.
It is not a food issue, they want to see their momma!!!

Hey! I need help, I might soon be getting an Indian runner duck, or an American Pekin Duck. I also have 1 Austrolorp, 2 Barred rocks, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Rhode Island Red, and what I need to know is if I get 1 duck, will the chickens gang up on the duck and kill it? Plz help

Hey! I need help, I might soon be getting an Indian runner duck, or an American Pekin Duck. I also have 1 Austrolorp, 2 Barred rocks, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Rhode Island Red, and what I need to know is if I get 1 duck, will the chickens gang up on the duck and kill it? Plz help
Always a possibility when you introduce a new comer to the group. best to let them get to know each other slowly over several weeks with some kind of fencing in between them the plastic poultry fencing at Lowes works well. you can put them into a large dog crate Inside the coop at night for even more time to get to know each other that way they will still be safe. Can I make a suggestion and ask that you get 2 ducks so your duck will have a buddy, they do so much better when they have one of their own to pal around with.

Welcome to BYC

Thank you! :) Yes I've raised her (Jase...didn't know what they were for awhile so she got kind of a guy name) and our male Sid from ducklings so they are very attached to me and I spoil them rotten. I kind of figured that's what was going on but I really appreciate some of your pointers on what to do. Especially the lettuce in something that they can pick at regularly. Currently I've just been giving them a bit as a treats and hadn't thought of that just putting the whole head of lettuce in something like that.

I should see if I can find a duck therapist. Haha... Naw...It's nice to know I'm loved and luckily we live in an area where her quacking is not a big deal. :)

Thank you again everyone! I know I'm not alone! :)

Last edited:
Thx for answering, but I think one is enough, I've searched on Google and they said "ducks are loyal companions and would rather have a human friend then a duck friend", that's maybe not what they said but it's close enough. Thanks for helping. P.S I'm lucky to get 1:D

Thx for answering, but I think one is enough, I've searched on Google and they said "ducks are loyal companions and would rather have a human friend then a duck friend", that's maybe not what they said but it's close enough. Thanks for helping. P.S I'm lucky to get 1:D
Yes, but only if you are able to be her companion for most of the day. They will get very lonely and depressed if left alone for more than an hour at a time - so it can be a little selfish to expect to be able to raise a happy lone duck. Do you go to school or work during the day? Unless you stay at home most of the day, a single duck isn't for you. And there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here if you want advice - Google isn't always right :)

Yes, but only if you are able to be her companion for most of the day.  They will get very lonely and depressed if left alone for more than an hour at a time - so it can be a little selfish to expect to be able to raise a happy lone duck.  Do you go to school or work during the day?  Unless you stay at home most of the day, a single duck isn't for you.  And there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here if you want advice - Google isn't always right :)
thank you very much this helped a lot, but I'm homeschooled so I'm home all the day, unless of course I go out to lunch etc.

Quote: @fardar , Welcome to BYC! What will your duck do when you sleep or go play with your friends? Google separation anxiety disorder before you decide to get just one duck.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom