First time hatcher!!

I got these two babies today, I love the lavender ameraucanas & just couldn't pass them up. Paid pretty hefty for them though, I'm really hoping they will both be girls, but probably won't be,lol. I'm hoping to get to hatch some of these, but seems the eggs are pretty hard to come by, or at least to get the true ones anyway.

They are adorable! I love lavenders and you're right, true Ameraucana and Araucana are hard to find. I don't know of any breeders anywhere close to my area.

So with warmer weather coming on now, is it still such a issue of where to keep the incubator? I really don't have a room that doesn't have a door going outside, other than the bathroom, but it's way to small, and closet, but no window, would maybe get smelly. I could set it up in like a corner that's not real close to a door maybe? I just didn't know if by having the doors & windows open on these nice days, will that cause problems? Or am I over thinking things?

Depending on your incubator, being near an outside door should be fine.. I had mine set up right next to the back door for my last batch of chickens -In January!- and they were good, and both my current incubators are set up in my room with the window open for better air circulation. The chickens are starting to hatch today and seem okay. Some incubators are more sensitive than others, though.

Ok, so I got 12 eggs yesterday from a local guy, I left them in the carton to just rest until this morning & then put a book under one end of carton. I have eggs that are being shipped, that I should get tomorrow. I will let them sit for at least 12 hours before putting them all into incubator. I have a couple of questions 1)should I try to candle the eggs to check air cells, or wait? 2)do I wash the eggs or anything before putting them in? 3)when should I start up my incubator, today, or wait until tomorrow, they will be going into incubator on Tuesday, if I'm figuring that correctly. I'm really excited to get them started, but also very nervous, have never done this before & all the reading I have done, I still feel a bit confused and unsure,lol. This site has helped so much! Thanks to all!!

Ok, so I got my shipped eggs, they were packaged really well, they have been resting since around 11:00 am, am going to put them in tonight. I have cream legbar, wellsummer, I think, and some silky frizzles, hoping to at least get 1 of those. Those are the shipped eggs, I also have lavender Orpingtons that I got local, have had those for a few days already. My temp is running right at 100, 99.5, my humidity is 27%, will that be ok for now & just up it toward the end? Also, a few of my eggs have died poo on them, is that ok? I was told to not wash them, but want to make sure it'll be ok on there. I'm planning to just leave them in carton & put in incubator & not turn for couple days, except the local ones, I'll leave in carton but shift them. I'm not going to candle them yet, I probably wouldn't know what I was seeing,lol.

Back
Top Bottom