First time hatching, broody hen

SO SO sad... :hit

I would leave them be for today, and tomorrow water candle them. I have a batch of chicken eggs in my incubator that might not make it. But look on the bright side you can try again any time, if you buy an incubator. I bought mine off of amazon for 100 dollars. You don't need a really expensive incubator. But still it is very sad that the hen crushed that egg :(. :hugs

Yeah I have just been checking on momma hen today but not messing with the eggs really. I have lifted her a few times to look but that’s it. No visible changes though. Hopefully something will happen tonight or tomorrow :fl

I went out on day 21 with my broody to look for pips. I was all excited when right under her breast was an egg pipped. I got the camera ready and took pictures. Then when I pushed the egg back under an already dry chick popped out! Reached under her to look at the other eggs and found yet another dry chick and all but one pipped egg.

So momma chicken got out of nest and my white rock got in there and busted one of the 2 eggs left...I’m so disappointed right now.:hit

I'm about to buy some shipped silkie eggs could I have some advice? I'm using my broody hen to incubate, I can't afford an incubator right now lol.

IMG_20180621_164819.jpg
IMG_20180621_164829.jpg
IMG_20180621_164819.jpg

I'm about to buy some shipped silkie eggs could I have some advice? I'm using my broody hen to incubate, I can't afford an incubator right now lol.
I wouldn't be so much worried about the hen, as the eggs. Shipped eggs usually run into a lot of trouble hatching. I would be afraid to try hatching shipped eggs under a broody. But if that is all you have.... I would put a cage around her though to keep other chickens and predators away from her.

Back
Top Bottom