First time hatching! Ducks

Yes, I know they do that, but they are doing it to me, biting me.
They bit my face a little while ago, my eye and lip. It doesn't bother me when they bite my finger, just don't want them to bite my face :)

Yes, I know they do that, but they are doing it to me, biting me.
They bit my face a little while ago, my eye and lip. It doesn't bother me when they bite my finger, just don't want them to bite my face :)
Don't let them up around your face, just like a puppy they try things out with their mouths since they don't have hands to feel with. So to keep them from biting your face you keep them away from it. They will learn if you are firm but I wouldn't flick them at the age they are now, they are just learning what is good to nibble on and what isn't. Give them something to nibble like shredded romaine and always put chick grit out when feeding anything other than their starter. Last year when my goslings were tiny I hung a romaine head in their brooder and boy did they have fun nibbling on it.

What Miss Lydia said! :)

My little Pepper was a biter since she was one day old. Bit our hands kind of hard for such a little thing, but she mostly grew out of that. She now only nibbles on hair and clothes when she's feeling sociable. When they're young like that they just want to explore everything and see if it's any good to eat. I wouldn't reprimand them at this age, either. Just don't give them access to areas you don't want nibbled, like your face. ;)

What Miss Lydia said! :)

My little Pepper was a biter since she was one day old. Bit our hands kind of hard for such a little thing, but she mostly grew out of that. She now only nibbles on hair and clothes when she's feeling sociable. When they're young like that they just want to explore everything and see if it's any good to eat. I wouldn't reprimand them at this age, either. Just don't give them access to areas you don't want nibbled, like your face. ;)
Miss Lydia knows her stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom