First time hatching - home-made incubator

Awesome! I'm really disappointed with my quail eggs through. 11 days and no real signs of life. Oh well

That's a shame. I guess it is possible that they were never fertile to begin with. I set 60 jumbo coturnix eggs recently and only 36 of them developed fully (2 were early quitters), the rest had no development after 15 days, just yolk and egg whites.

At least you have stuff going on in your chicken eggs, good luck!

Last edited:
One question I have is had anyone had much luck hatching eggs that have been badly damaged before incubation has started. When my eggs came in the mail one had extensive spiderweb cracking all along one side and one crack that follows the whole circumference along with a good sized dent. There was no fluid leaking so I grabbed a tea candle and tried to cover as much of the damage as I could. Last night when I was turning the eggs I noticed some dried seepage around the wax and assumed it was a lost cause but left it in the bator overnight anyway. Today I candled it just to have a look and out of all 6 it has the most developed vein structure of them all and looks to be going strong! Anyone have any luck with damaged eggs? Any advice to give it the best fighting chance?

I'm just going to have to keep my fingers crossed and think up a truly unique name just in case it hatches!

Well, my cracked finally quite, one remained clear and two with damaged air sacks from shipping also gave up. Sad but not surprised for shipped eggs

Tuesday night I locked down my two remaining Ameraucana eggs. I water candled right before and got a good wobble so I'm really hoping they both hatch tomorrow! Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom