First time hatching question!

Ok so I just applied some bacitracin ointment and I could hear the egg to the left in the picture pecking at the shell (this chick peeps so loud you can hear it from the kitchen lol) and the second egg likes to nibble a lot.. So here is my plan.. Since I work 12hrs shift... usually I leave work around 6:30-6:40am I will wake up around 2-3am to help assist these chicks (least they have 20hrs) and then come back during my lunch break to check on them (good thing for living close to my job) and hopefully by the time I get off work and home 7:30pm.. They got themselves out! :fl

Omg!! I just saw my thrid egg pipped and in the correct spot!
1f603.png
hoping the forth egg will pip soon!

I just want to thank each and everyone of you for helping me out and getting through this! Really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Mine looked the same. But I waited 24-28 hrs and he was more then ready.

After I checked the internal membrane and saw that there was no more veins, I started making a zip.

(Mine was a peafowl egg, that's why you see feathers)

After you helped zip it.. Do you remember how long it took the chick to get out? And did you have to do it all the way around or just like the pic and left it alone until it broke through itself?

Ok so I just applied some bacitracin ointment and I could hear the egg to the left in the picture pecking at the shell (this chick peeps so loud you can hear it from the kitchen lol) and the second egg likes to nibble a lot.. So here is my plan.. Since I work 12hrs shift... usually I leave work around 6:30-6:40am I will wake up around 2-3am to help assist these chicks (least they have 20hrs) and then come back during my lunch break to check on them (good thing for living close to my job) and hopefully by the time I get off work and home 7:30pm.. They got themselves out!
fl.gif

Omg!! I just saw my thrid egg pipped and in the correct spot!
1f603.png
hoping the forth egg will pip soon!

I just want to thank each and everyone of you for helping me out and getting through this! Really appreciate it!
That's great!!! Sounds like a good plan to me.

After you helped zip it.. Do you remember how long it took the chick to get out? And did you have to do it all the way around or just like the pic and left it alone until it broke through itself?

I had to do it all the way around. And then I even had to pull the zip apart. Idk know exactly how he was positioned in the egg but he couldn't use his feet to push. Update when you can.

Hey! So.. I woke up around 2am to assist the two that pipped the wrong way but as I was chipping away the shell I could still see veins so I put them back in the incubator.. But then guess what happened next?!?! The third egg had so much activity.. You can see the difference between a correct pip and wrong way.. This lil guy/gal was zipping away and by 3:45am he/she was out of the shell!!
1f600.png

Here's a pic:

Then afterwards I went to sleep and when I woke up.. I had a surprise!! One of the chicks that pipped he wrong way hatched!! I looked into the incubator and two lil heads starring at me!
1f600.png

Here's a pic of them both:

So before the left for work.. I tried to help the other egg(pipped wrong way) but the veins are still visible and it bleed a lil when I teared a lil of the membrane so I put some ointment on it and put it back in the bator.. But this lil guy/gal def had way more movement compared to yesterday... I'm just wondering that both of those eggs, their veins was still visible but it still hatch out fine.. Hmm so wondering if that one is ready or not.. But hopefull it can break free like the other egg that pipped the wrong way...hoping when I check up on them during lunch break this lil one will be out!

Egg 4 don't have movement or chirps.. I did candle it but it looked a lil off.. So idk about that egg but will leave it there until day 25

Hey! So.. I woke up around 2am to assist the two that pipped the wrong way but as I was chipping away the shell I could still see veins so I put them back in the incubator.. But then guess what happened next?!?! The third egg had so much activity.. You can see the difference between a correct pip and wrong way.. This lil guy/gal was zipping away and by 3:45am he/she was out of the shell!!
1f600.png

Here's a pic:

Then afterwards I went to sleep and when I woke up.. I had a surprise!! One of the chicks that pipped he wrong way hatched!! I looked into the incubator and two lil heads starring at me!
1f600.png

So before the left for work.. I tried to help the other egg(pipped wrong way) but the veins are still visible and it bleed a lil when I teared a lil of the membrane so I put some ointment on it and put it back in the bator.. But this lil guy/gal def had way more movement compared to yesterday... I'm just wondering that both of those eggs, their veins was still visible but it still hatch out fine.. Hmm so wondering if that one is ready or not.. But hopefull it can break free like the other egg that pipped the wrong way...hoping when I check up on them during lunch break this lil one will be out!

Egg 4 don't have movement or chirps.. I did candle it but it looked a lil off.. So idk about that egg but will leave it there until day 25
Congrats!!! Hope the other one makes it out for you. Sometimes malepositioned chicks do take a little longer than average because they are skipping a step.

1f600.png

Here's a pic:

1f600.png

That's great!! They look adorable! If the membrane bled a little then it needs more time. Check out the inner membrane on the ones that hatched to get an idea for how it should look. It has a pinkish color but if you look close the veins are super tiny. I hope you get home and the 3rd one hatches too!! Update when you can.

Hey! Please help!! Something doesn't seem right with the third chick! Once I got home from lunch I see that it was starting to zip but once off work the membrane dried and wrapped around it, so I help get the dry part off and made the hole a lil bigger and soon after it kicked out of the shell but it's been hours and the chick would try to stand and it falls back down onto its belly... I think this is a weak chick or is it just from being exhausted??? Also I see something hanging from its butt... Every time it moves, he is dragging it along..

Here's the pic:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/6
1/id/7020675/width/200/height/400[/IMg

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7020676/width/200/height/400

Last edited:
Hey! Please help!! Something doesn't seem right with the third chick! Once I got home from lunch I see that it was starting to zip but once off work the membrane dried and wrapped around it, so I help get the dry part off and made the hole a lil bigger and soon after it kicked out of the shell but it's been hours and the chick would try to stand and it falls back down onto its belly... I think this is a weak chick or is it just from being exhausted??? Also I see something hanging from its butt... Every time it moves, he is dragging it along..

Here's the pic:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/6
1/id/7020675/width/200/height/400[/IMg

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7020676/width/200/height/400

I would just cut that off. The chick I had to assist out was extremely weak! (It also had that left over cord and gunk hanging off)! It couldn't get on it's feet because it was in the wrong position in the shell and couldn't strengthen it's leg muscles by properly hatching, I believe. I let him rest all day, put him in the brooder that night. By 5am he looked like he was dying. So I gave him water with sav-a-chick electrolyte in it. He took 4 large sips and was up running around in a few hours. I was going to tell you all this and I should have. Hope he's doing better. Update!

Back
Top Bottom