First time hatching question!

I would just cut that off. The chick I had to assist out was extremely weak! (It also had that left over cord and gunk hanging off)! It couldn't get on it's feet because it was in the wrong position in the shell and couldn't strengthen it's leg muscles by properly hatching, I believe. I let him rest all day, put him in the brooder that night. By 5am he looked like he was dying. So I gave him water with sav-a-chick electrolyte in it. He took 4 large sips and was up running around in a few hours. I was going to tell you all this and I should have. Hope he's doing better. Update!

If you cut it.. Did you cut it close to its butt? Well this morning before I left for work he still seems really weak.. But he keeps trying to stand and he does and would walk a bit and then drop back down to its belly.. He chirps and responds...Remember the link you sent me? The article said we can give some Gatorade and good thing I had some at home so I wet a qtip with it and dapped it below his beak like that article said.. But probably not enough.. So hopefully it will boost it a lil..

I hate that I have to work again today.. I just want to be at home with him/her and keep an eye out for all of them....

Quick question.. For the brooder.. Would you recommend pine shaving?? There is so much debate on it online.. And would you give medicated chick feed?

If you cut it.. Did you cut it close to its butt? Well this morning before I left for work he still seems really weak.. But he keeps trying to stand and he does and would walk a bit and then drop back down to its belly.. He chirps and responds...Remember the link you sent me? The article said we can give some Gatorade and good thing I had some at home so I wet a qtip with it and dapped it below his beak like that article said.. But probably not enough.. So hopefully it will boost it a lil..

I hate that I have to work again today.. I just want to be at home with him/her and keep an eye out for all of them....

Quick question.. For the brooder.. Would you recommend pine shaving?? There is so much debate on it online.. And would you give medicated chick feed?

I'm glad you got some Gatorade in him. Take a little cup when you get home and dip his beak in it and then point his beak & head upwards and he should swallow. I didn't cut it super close to his belly button, that's where it's hanging from, the navel. I also put bacitracin on the navel for 2 days. Those are all really good questions but everyone has their own preference. What I do is that I use the care fresh bedding covered with paper towels for the first 2-3weeks. I change the paper towel daily but not the care fresh. Then I switch to Koop clean straw around 3 wks. If you're brooding inside like I do, then the Koop clean really helps with Oder and one bag last for months. I use it in the coop too. And yes, I use medicated feed and I make fermented feed starting around 3 wks and they love that!

Ruby is so good!
wink.png

I always use the save a chick in my water for the first couple days. I swear by it. I also buy a small bag of the medicated chick starter to start out with and once that is gone I switch over to the regular starter crumbles.

I do use the pine from day one. The course pine. I would never recommend the fine pine. That stuff is like sawdust and so much easier for them to swallow. I have never had a problem with the pine.

Ruby- I've never heard of the koop clean straw. I'll have to look into that.

Ruby is so good!  ;)

I always use the save a chick in my water for the first couple days.  I swear by it.  I also buy a small bag of the medicated chick starter to start out with and once that is gone I switch over to the regular starter crumbles.

I do use the pine from day one.  The course pine. I would never recommend the fine pine. That stuff is like sawdust and so much easier for them to swallow.  I have never had a problem with the pine.

Ruby- I've never heard of the koop clean straw. I'll have to look into that.

I saw it on the chicken chick's website and then found a thread on here about it. The price ranges depending on the area. It's not cheap but I wanted to try it. I bought 1bag about 2 months ago. It's lasted 3 different brooding batches and in the coop for over a month and I still haven't finished it. I do think it controls odor good for brooding in the house. Here's the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/888246/anyone-use-koop-clean/90#post_15600753
And thanks for the complement.
1f49b.png

I saw it on the chicken chick's website and then found a thread on here about it. The price ranges depending on the area. It's not cheap but I wanted to try it. I bought 1bag about 2 months ago. It's lasted 3 different brooding batches and in the coop for over a month and I still haven't finished it. I do think it controls odor good for brooding in the house. Here's the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/888246/anyone-use-koop-clean/90#post_15600753
And thanks for the complement.
1f49b.png
Thanks!

Mm here's an update on the weak chick.. He seems to be able to stand and wobble a lil longer than before but then he will lay right back down.. I was unable to find sav a chick at any other stored besides a few store that is so far away from me so I mixed in some starter feed/warm water/ a few drops of poly vi sol.. Hope this will help his immune system..

Here's how I set up the brooder.. And separated him from the other two because they kept pecking at him/her... Trying to upload a video so you guy can see how this chick is..

Here's two video: any feedback be great! Once again I want to thank you all for helping me and guiding me! :)

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

Last edited:
What if you used a little Gatorade and a bit of mashed hardboiled egg to make a runny pasty soup, warmed it a bit, and gave it to him on the end of a plastic spoon? If these were from the eggs with larger than expected air cells, maybe he's lost a little too much humidity and needs the drink? I defer to the other ladies here as I am NOT an experienced chick raiser. Just something to try if nobody else has responded before you have to leave for work.

IMO, his legs look just slightly splayed/spraddled. He looks like he's doing ok to me, though, considering he was an assist. I think he needs a little more time and he'll be up & running. But he'll need extra TLC from you. Hard boiled egg yoke is a good idea. I mash it up with starter. Keep the Gatorade in the water. But keep sticking his beak in food and water. And keep an eye on his legs. Do the other chicks look like their legs are underneath them more? His legs seem a little wide. I had one like that and I was on the fence about bracing them. I didn't and her legs got stronger in a day or two and closer together.

What if you used a little Gatorade and a bit of mashed hardboiled egg to make a runny pasty soup, warmed it a bit, and gave it to him on the end of a plastic spoon? If these were from the eggs with larger than expected air cells, maybe he's lost a little too much humidity and needs the drink? I defer to the other ladies here as I am NOT an experienced chick raiser. Just something to try if nobody else has responded before you have to leave for work.

Thanks!! yes this lilttle fella hatched from a fairly big/saddle air cell! I was quite surprise! and I will definitely try out the hardboiled egg! =)

Back
Top Bottom