First time hatching question!

Thank you both!! So today is lockdown!! I can't wait to see what happens
big_smile.png
:fl. I was wondering what is the ideal temp for lockdown? I'm reading that people lower it by a degree? So is 98 a good temp?
I don't adjust mine down for hatch. Some people do adjust down a degree.

When I
I just saw your original post for the first time. I see the problem from your first picture. When you first received the eggs, how long did you leave them upright, pointy end down? My first hatch I had 6 shipped eggs and a few looked like yours, with the whacky air cell. I hate to say it but those did not hatch. But I have talked to people that have had ones like that hatch. Are you planning on doing more shipped eggs? When you first get your package of eggs check the air cells. You'll now know what to look for. What happened is that you had "loose" air cells from shipping. When you laid them on the sides they firmed up but down the side of the egg not on the fat end. Giving them a saddle type shape down one side. Next time put each egg in a carton with a hole cut in the bottom for air circulation. (I can post a pic if you like). Let them rest outside the incubator for 12-24 hrs. Keep them upright in the carton and put them in the incubator. Do not turn them for 5 days. On day 5 candle and check air cells. They should be firm by then, meaning solid in the fat end, you won't see the air cell wiggle or slosh around when you rotate the egg under the light. Then you can lay them on their sides. IMO, I don't think your issue was so much a humidity one as it was a shipping issue. (I do run 35% days 1-18). Read this article on shipping eggs. https://mbasic.facebook.com/notes/f...beth-white-via-cheryl-shires/548615281826504/
Good luck! I hope they hatch!

Thanks for the info..I'm not sure if I would do more shipped egg or just buy chicks in the future (this is quite stressful but it's amazing to see them develop) When I first got the eggs I left it in the carton fat end up for 24hrs and then I laid them on the side in the incubator.. I didn't know about the saddle air cell until maybe around day 10/12 when I candled them and it looked different from the pictures I've seen so I did further research and found about saddle air cell.. But all this time I had them on the side...so I left them like that...Mm I have read for some people they still hatch and some don't... Since I started lockdown this morning.. Should I leave them upright then? Or just let nature take its course? When I candled this morning, for two of the eggs I saw their beak( I think it is) by the air cell so hopefully they will be ok!

When I
Thanks for the info..I'm not sure if I would do more shipped egg or just buy chicks in the future (this is quite stressful but it's amazing to see them develop) When I first got the eggs I left it in the carton fat end up for 24hrs and then I laid them on the side in the incubator.. I didn't know about the saddle air cell until maybe around day 10/12 when I candled them and it looked different from the pictures I've seen so I did further research and found about saddle air cell.. But all this time I had them on the side...so I left them like that...Mm I have read for some people they still hatch and some don't... Since I started lockdown this morning.. Should I leave them upright then? Or just let nature take its course? When I candled this morning, for two of the eggs I saw their beak( I think it is) by the air cell so hopefully they will be ok!
Buying chicks if they are shipped can be just as stressfull because many times they arrive and already have a couple that died or weak stressed chicks from the shipping process. Are you trying to hatch certain breeds? Are there any local or semi local farms or breeders you could purchase eggs from? I have a couple different fairly local poutry pages on fb that provide a good variety of breeds and often you can find members willing to sell fertile eggs. I personally like my barnyard mixes and most people in my area sell mixes' eggs cheap. Unless you are looking for show quality, I would be willing to try something like that.

When I

Personally, I would just leave them on their sides now.(Since they are already or getting into their final positions) But that's just me. It looks like the air cells are big enough so I would just wait and see. And another person I know that does shipped eggs had all hers hatch that looked like yours. So I hope they hatch! Update when you get a pip! Also, the first run is a learning experience. I've had pretty good hatches as far as shipped eggs go. You should definitly give it anther try!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Personally, I would just leave them on their sides now.(Since they are already or getting into their final positions) But that's just me. It looks like the air cells are big enough so I would just wait and see. And another person I know that does shipped eggs had all hers hatch that looked like yours. So I hope they hatch! Update when you get a pip! Also, the first run is a learning experience. I've had pretty good hatches as far as shipped eggs go. You should definitly give it anther try!
fl.gif
I still have not braved the "shipped eggs". lol I have such good rates with my local eggs, I just don't want to mess it up....lol

Buying chicks if they are shipped can be just as stressfull because many times they arrive and already have a couple that died or weak stressed chicks from the shipping process. Are you trying to hatch certain breeds? Are there any local or semi local farms or breeders you could purchase eggs from? I have a couple different fairly local poutry pages on fb that provide a good variety of breeds and often you can find members willing to sell fertile eggs. I personally like my barnyard mixes and most people in my area sell mixes' eggs cheap. Unless you are looking for show quality, I would be willing to try something like that.

Right now all the eggs I'm incubating are Creme Brabanters.. when I first decided on raising chickens, I didnt know which type of breed would be good for beginners and I came across a picture of the Creme Branbanters and love the way they looked and I read comments/rating for this type of breed and everyone seem to say postive things about it, so thats why I bought these eggs. But if this batch doesn't go well, I will definetly check to see if there is a local farm in my area so i can purchase some eggs. Thanks! I'm really hoping this batch to survive. i would feel bad that they came a long way to end..
fl.gif
things go well. Saturday couldn't come any sooner!

fl.gif

Thanks! I will leave them as they are. Hopefully I will hear some chirping soon! Saturday is too far away! haha

Back
Top Bottom