First time hatching

It appears from some folks on BYC it is fine to refrigerate them as long as they are fertile. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

I have not candelas yet so we will find out they should be fertile though because they are pheasant eggs and from what I understand they have to mate to lay eggs

Can you refrigerate eggs before incubating

Do you think they will survive I put mine in the incubator they were in the frigid over night

It's not ideal, but overnight may not be too bad. Give them a try!

I'm incubating many eggs that were collected in the evening, after laying in the coop in freezing temps. I marked them as "cold" so I would know, but they all are growing.

I am hoping to candle next saturday if i dont get any thing i will wait one more week candle and then toss them

So i'm 3 days in. My humidity has been really high. I filled the chanels in the bottom of the bater. Must be my house is damp. I just soaked a bunch of water out with a rag. I am going to run it on the dryer side and see if it levels off. Other than that, everything else is staying stable. First time i opened it was tonight so im behaving. Im running it at the factory temp of 99.5 I see alot of people run in the 101 to 102 range. Its just a foam tractor supply incubater with turner. Any suggestions on the temp? Thanks

So i'm 3 days in. My humidity has been really high. I filled the chanels in the bottom of the bater. Must be my house is damp. I just soaked a bunch of water out with a rag. I am going to run it on the dryer side and see if it levels off. Other than that, everything else is staying stable. First time i opened it was tonight so im behaving. Im running it at the factory temp of 99.5 I see alot of people run in the 101 to 102 range. Its just a foam tractor supply incubater with turner. Any suggestions on the temp? Thanks

Dryer is better to start, because you can always add more later to slow down the moisture loss. You can't always catch up losing moisture, if they don't lose enough fast enough. Make sense?

Temps, difference is usually for fan or not. With fan - 99.5-100. Without fan - 101-102. Fans will keep the air flowing around the egg and a more constant temp. Without a fan, the temp taken at the top of the egg, the idea is that its a degree or so lower on the floor, so its basically a net of around 100.

Thanks for the response. My bator does have a fan. The temp stays pretty good at about 100 degrees. Humidity has seemed to stabilize in the low 50%. Also has a plug on each side of the top. I have 1 in. 1 out. How much will the plug affect it? Thanks

100 is good. I keep all vents open, the whole time. Honestly you'll get mixed ideas on that too. Some Ventilation is definitely important, how much is a toss up. I think the more, the better.

Last edited:
I have not candelas yet so we will find out they should be fertile though because they are pheasant eggs and from what I understand they have to mate to lay eggs
I had 12 eggs in the incubator - many were washed and put in the fridge before I decided to incubate them. They hatched. The fridge and washing did nothing negative. They were in the fridge about three days.

Back
Top Bottom