First time hatching

No I wouldn't, because if it's still alive that can give it ink poisoning and kill it, I'd use a small sharp knife and do it really carefully.

I know. U have to candle first and make sure your air cell is deep enough AND u don't make a see through hole. Just a little indent in the shell and the I use a handy bobby pin the rest of the way.

No I wouldn't, because if it's still alive that can give it ink poisoning and kill it, I'd use a small sharp knife and do it really carefully.

I know. U have to candle first and make sure your air cell is deep enough AND u don't make a see through hole. Just a little indent in the shell and the I use a handy bobby pin the rest of the way.

Oh gotcha now, ok so there's two options.

Candling for a while to be sure, and I didn't see ANY movement, no breathing, nothing. So I went ahead and did both, very carefully, and both were dead. The one I suspected had been dead for at least a day or two, looked like it had drown, not sure if that's possible or not. And the other I have no idea what happened, it looked perfect, fully developed, right position, and even made a tiny little internal pip, but it was dead too, must have been since this morning or last night too, it was pale, almost white, should've helped it sooner. My grandpa said that sometimes eggs don't hatch good when it's storming?
And it's storming here right now

Candling for a while to be sure, and I didn't see ANY movement, no breathing, nothing. So I went ahead and did both, very carefully, and both were dead. The one I suspected had been dead for at least a day or two, looked like it had drown, not sure if that's possible or not. And the other I have no idea what happened, it looked perfect, fully developed, right position, and even made a tiny little internal pip, but it was dead too, must have been since this morning or last night too, it was pale, almost white, should've helped it sooner. My grandpa said that sometimes eggs don't hatch good when it's storming?

Aww I'm sorry, and really? It never heard of that before with the storming thing.

Yes, if the humidity was too high during the incubation period and the eggs did not loose enough moisture for the air cell to grow the chick can drown in the excess fluid come time to hatch. There are a lot of old "wives tales" about eggs and hatching, and the storm thing falls into that category. No disrepect to the older hatchers that often go by them. My guess would be a humidity issue, probably on the side of being too high.

And as for helping sooner, "helping" a chick before it pips externally rarely ever "helps" the chick because the vascular system between the chick and egg doesn't shut down fully generally until hours after the pip. A lot of people end up killing viable chicks by going in the shell after them before the shut down of the vascular system by making them bleed out. I am a big one for helping a chick and assisting if it needs to be done, don't get me wrong, but there is a point in the process where as mere humans our hands are tied. 100% hatches are not the norm because we are only human and most hatches will have chicks that don't make it out of the shell and as hatchers we have to accept that we can only do so much.

Ok I'm just a bit curious, were those the only 3 out of all those eggs you incubated that ended up developing this far?

Back
Top Bottom