First time incubating - Coturnix Quail eggs. Air sac too small? And other questions

I constantly candle and mess with my eggs but I am 100% sure of what I am doing andi pay close attention to how I hold/ handle an egg.
The constantly taking eggs out of an incubator into a colder environment and rotating the eggs unnecessarily will most likely cause issues. So please be careful.

No drilling of any holes.
Just wait. An egg is not meant to be helped if it does not pip on its own. The best thing you can do is leave the eggs alone and wait at this point.

I wouldn't give up yet. It can take up to 24 hours from pup to zip. For lockdown, your humidity should be around 50-60% in my experience.

If you can post some pictures of eggs that you've candled, that would help.
No, I'm not giving up on the eggs at all! I'm just trying to learn what can I do to help them, since the air sacs are too small. I have my humidity now around 70%

Post a new post...it's better than updating an older post because we won't know that you edited your post.

You're shining the light on the wrong side of the egg.
You need to shine the light in the air cell side.

Don't stress too much about the size of the air cell at this point.
The eggs will do better if you leave them alone.
I saw your pictures from day 14. They look similar size to mine, did yours turn out well?

I know you have to shine the light in the air cell, but it's really difficult to take the pictures. If I shined directly in the air cell you couldn't see anything on the camera

No, I'm not giving up on the eggs at all! I'm just trying to learn what can I do to help them, since the air sacs are too small. I have my humidity now around 70%
You want to get that humidity down some. I found that when the humidity is that high, I get a lot of curled toes that require intervention to fix or the chick ends up getting culled if it's too bad.

If you can, get the humidity down to 50-60%.

If you do not have a salt tested humidity gauge then it is entirely possible that your humidity has been way higher than just 70% the whole time.
Unfortunately, I think you are not going to have a good outcome with this hatch, but don't let that deter you from trying again now that you have learned a few things while here.

You want to get that humidity down some. I found that when the humidity is that high, I get a lot of curled toes that require intervention to fix or the chick ends up getting culled if it's too bad.

If you can, get the humidity down to 50-60%.
ok!

Back
Top Bottom