First time incubating - Coturnix Quail eggs. Air sac too small? And other questions

Linita

Chirping
Dec 16, 2022
Hi,

This is my first time incubating eggs. They're Coturnix Quail shipped eggs. From 41 eggs I started with I'm now left with 19 developed eggs that I have just put into lockdown. The rest didn't develop or died at day 5-6. We're at day 15 right now.

It's the first time I do this, I started with zero knowledge. The thing is, I followed a guy's guide on YouTube and he said to don't worry about the humidity as long as it's above 55% so that's what I did. It has been raining nonstop since I put the eggs and the humidity on average id say it has been around 63% inside the incubator. But I didn't worry. A couple days ago I discovered that guy was totally wrong and humidity shouldn't be that high because the air sac doesn't develop enough, so the chick doesn't have space to move around for hatching and also may don't find enough oxygen after the first pip.

Last two days I left the eggs at 40% humidity to compensate a bit but today I was supposed to start lockdown so I did.

I can't find any clear photos online as of how the air sacs should be looking on day 14 for quail eggs.
I candled my eggs and the sizes vary
But more than half look too little to me, what do you think?
I pencil drew the air sacs so you can see.
Are they too small?
Is there anything I can do?

I have read a guide here about how to assist eggs and safety holes but I'm full of questions.

The guy in the guide said to candle the eggs daily since the airsac starts dipping. But if you're in lockdown, aren't you supposed to not to open the incubator, at least until most chicks have hatched?
I understand this is to prevent chicks from shrink wrap if the humidity drops. But can it drop so drastically by just opening for a few seconds? If I'm very quick I can open and take out an egg with the humidity not going below 58% or so. Is it ok to open and candle?

Can shrink wrap happen before the external pipping? Or I shouldn't worry about it until the external pipping starts?

Once it starts, is it ok to open the incubator real quick? Can just a couple minutes drop in humidity make the chicks shrink wrap?

I am specially worried about half of the eggs. I see the air sacs too small, but some have started dipping even tho their size. I am not sure how to monitor them if I am not supposed to open the incubator. Any ideas?

Also, I find it very confusing in the assistance guide how to know when to assist. They say if it's taking too long to go from internal pipping to external, or external to zipping, but I don't know how much is "too long" for quail eggs. My best guess right now is maybe do a safety hole if one day has passed after internal pipping without external. And maybe intervene too if more than a day has passed since external pipping and no zipping progress is shown. Are those times good?

And what about when should I intervene if zipping has started but not finished and there's no hatching? I really have no guidelines as to how much time means "it's taking too long". :(

Thanks so much for stopping by my post and I hope you can give me some answers.

I really don't want to let down those small air sac eggs. They deserve a chance. I feel a bit angry at the guy who gave such bad advice. But I thought it couldn't be that bad since his chicks seem to hatch. Also I found very different humidity recommendations all around the place. It was very confusing.

Attachments

• IMG_20221216_200033.jpg
    IMG_20221216_200033.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20221216_194951.jpg
    IMG_20221216_194951.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221216_195017.jpg
    IMG_20221216_195017.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20221216_194925.jpg
    IMG_20221216_194925.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20221216_195051.jpg
    IMG_20221216_195051.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi, sorry to summon you without even knowing you. @HeatherKellyB
I got no answers here and I'm kinda freaking out. I saw you helped in some other posts regarding air sacs.
I'm on day 16 in lockdown right now and I have eggs with very small air sacs (see post). I am not sure when and how to drill safety holes and check on all the eggs consistently if I'm not supposed to open the incubator. Is it a big deal if humidity drops to 55% for 3-5min, it's as low as it gets when I open the incubator. I have some internal pipping already and one has done an external pipping, but not in the air sac but in the middle of the egg. I think that's the wrong side?

I've read this guide for assistance

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

Hope I don't bother you and thanks so much in advance.

Some of the air sacs have gotten a big bigger today I guess because the chicks positioned in hatching position.

Hi, sorry to summon you without even knowing you. @HeatherKellyB
I got no answers here and I'm kinda freaking out. I saw you helped in some other posts regarding air sacs.
I'm on day 16 in lockdown right now and I have eggs with very small air sacs (see post). I am not sure when and how to drill safety holes and check on all the eggs consistently if I'm not supposed to open the incubator. Is it a big deal if humidity drops to 55% for 3-5min, it's as low as it gets when I open the incubator. I have some internal pipping already and one has done an external pipping, but not in the air sac but in the middle of the egg. I think that's the wrong side?

I've read this guide for assistance

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

Hope I don't bother you and thanks so much in advance.

Some of the air sacs have gotten a big bigger today I guess because the chicks positioned in hatching position.
I'm sorry you haven't received a reply before now. I don't mind you tagging me for anything. It's no problem at all. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with quail. I'm so sorry. I'll tag some folks that should be able to help
@MGG
@Kiki
@casportpony
@JacinLarkwell
@muddy75

Last edited:
Sorry you didn’t get help sooner……unfortunately lockdown/hatch day is a bit late to fix your incubation issues other than :fl .
It’s never really a good idea IME to attempt assisted hatching for quail. They usually have defects that result in low survival/high cull rate.
First step before incubating again is to make sure that you check your temps and humidity with “calibrated” instruments to ensure that your parameters are accurate.
Humidity is “relative” and differs geographically and by season. For quail, you want no more than 45% during the first 15 days and then no more than 60% during lockdown/hatch. Many people especially in more humid areas dry hatch for this reason.
There are some really good articles here on incubation/humidity…….i will try to add some links. Maybe @Kiki and others tagged can help link some information for you as well.

Thanks everyone for your response,
here are some updated pictures of the air sacs. It's quite difficult to take the pictures in the dark tho, but you can get an idea of the size of the average air sac in these eggs.

@Nabiki
@muddy75

I tried to update my post, but I think I can't edit it. Here's a summary of my questions so it's a bit more clear what they are:

1. Do the air sacs look too small for you? How small?

2. What can I do in this situation to help the eggs hatch when the air sac is so small?

3.About shrink wrapping. Does it happen for openning the incubator just a moment? Or do you need to let it open for a longer time? Humidity going down to 50%-60% after opening for a few minutes can produce shrink wrapping? Or I shouldn't worry too much about it? Also, can it happen before external pipping or just after?

4. How much time is it normal to pass between these stages: internal pipping - external pipping - unzipping - hatching, for quail eggs? When do I know the chick is taking too long and I can intervene to help?

Last edited:
Post a new post...it's better than updating an older post because we won't know that you edited your post.

You're shining the light on the wrong side of the egg.
You need to shine the light in the air cell side.

Don't stress too much about the size of the air cell at this point.
The eggs will do better if you leave them alone.

Back
Top Bottom