First time incubating

Good luck.
A couple words of caution, don't trust any thermometer or hygrometer you haven't verified. I have tried many products and if you have a smart phone with Bluetooth, I highly recommend the Govee H5074. There are newer models, some with WIFI but I have 3 of the 5074s and swear by them.
The other point is to not be deterred if the hatch doesn't go well. The LG is notorious for poor hatches. Mostly from wildely fluctuating temperatures. I have hatched a bunch in a couple of them but I also call them 'embryo exterminators'.
You can keep the humidity up more by using a sponge. Surface area is the important aspect, not water volume.
Great suggestion! I had one shipped and put it in the LG. The difference between the two are NUTSO! I am going to throw the old one out and buy another Govee.
So thank you!
Thermometer differences.jpg

Also, my brother sent me home some Easter Eggers and a few golden comets.
This means I had to get my other LG in order. So I cut out some plexiglass to cover the gaping holes and voila! Know I have an incubator for the final steps!

I once had 3 of the Govee H5074 and put them side by side and there was less than 0.5F and 3% RH difference between them. Some from incubator companies weren't that close.

I once had 3 of the Govee H5074 and put them side by side and there was less than 0.5F and 3% RH difference between them. Some from incubator companies weren't that close.
I wish the WiFi option was cheaper. I dig the bluetooth. I have placed one of my Wyze cams on top of the plexi looking into the brooder so even away I can look at least 4 of the 12 eggs as well as the hygrometer.

Lockdown setup.jpg

This the view I get from my Wyze Camera.

LockdownCamview.jpg

As I went to take this picture I noticed two eggs with cracks I didn't put there!!!

EggPip1.jpg

EggPip2.jpg

I actually did a dumb thing and had these in upside down. That may be why the pip is on the opposite side of where the air sac is? I don't know. I gently placed them the correct way in the egg turner for the last day for this batch. The second batch is 2 weeks behind so I think they will be better.

I candled all of them and the air sac never came disconnected from the fat side of the egg. Hopefully, all will work out!

Exciting times!

2A3C5694-ED0D-4C56-B8A0-6A11D623943E.jpeg

All is well with the two that have hatched. I have one chick that has broken the shell. Still not getting through though. The other chick accidentally pulled some shell loose. Can still see some breathing.

9AA206BA-E7FA-4D17-9D81-1962A7063ADB.jpeg

I found out the membrane was leather-like. So we had to help with some emergency hatching procedures. Attempted the warm mist, but not with much help. I could see it breathing better when it was wet. Still, it appeared to pip and struggle. The shell was noted to be pulled away from the membrane so I started there very carefully...after consulting ye old interwebs and this websites vast posts.

Now the chicken is out, and seemingly doing better! Time will tell for this one.
16ABC3AB-8C31-44C0-8176-DCD0112C02AB.jpeg

This also leaves about 9 more eggs in lockdown to hatch if they will.
FYI, they went in on the 15th... making this the 21st day.

How long do you usually wait until calling the eggs a loss? I'm thinking about waiting 4-5 more days just in case. .

Back
Top Bottom