First time incubating

gfunk1127

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Burlington, NC
Hey all!
This is my first time incubating. Mom supplied me with an Antique. It is a Little Giant. They bought it at auction last year. I cleaned it up as best I could.

It now holds 20 eggs from a local guy with mainly RIR.

They sit nicely in the automatic egg turner.

I started them on 2/25.
Which means on 3/15 I get to pull them off the turner and wait for the escape to happen!

My family is excited. I am apprehensive because the humidity is having a hard time staying above 30% even though there is water in the trays. But it could also be the thermo-hygrometer's fault as well. I'm currently looking into purchasing another.

Also may invest in a newer incubator depending on how this goes!

I'll post pics as they happen.

Good luck.
A couple words of caution, don't trust any thermometer or hygrometer you haven't verified. I have tried many products and if you have a smart phone with Bluetooth, I highly recommend the Govee H5074. There are newer models, some with WIFI but I have 3 of the 5074s and swear by them.
The other point is to not be deterred if the hatch doesn't go well. The LG is notorious for poor hatches. Mostly from wildely fluctuating temperatures. I have hatched a bunch in a couple of them but I also call them 'embryo exterminators'.
You can keep the humidity up more by using a sponge. Surface area is the important aspect, not water volume.

Good luck.
A couple words of caution, don't trust any thermometer or hygrometer you haven't verified. I have tried many products and if you have a smart phone with Bluetooth, I highly recommend the Govee H5074. There are newer models, some with WIFI but I have 3 of the 5074s and swear by them.
The other point is to not be deterred if the hatch doesn't go well. The LG is notorious for poor hatches. Mostly from wildely fluctuating temperatures. I have hatched a bunch in a couple of them but I also call them 'embryo exterminators'.
You can keep the humidity up more by using a sponge. Surface area is the important aspect, not water volume.
Ooooh. A sponge! Cool. I’ll try that. And I like the Govee products. I have a few of their LEDs.

Thank you!

Hey all!
This is my first time incubating. Mom supplied me with an Antique. It is a Little Giant. They bought it at auction last year. I cleaned it up as best I could.

It now holds 20 eggs from a local guy with mainly RIR.

They sit nicely in the automatic egg turner.

I started them on 2/25.
Which means on 3/15 I get to pull them off the turner and wait for the escape to happen!

My family is excited. I am apprehensive because the humidity is having a hard time staying above 30% even though there is water in the trays. But it could also be the thermo-hygrometer's fault as well. I'm currently looking into purchasing another.

Also may invest in a newer incubator depending on how this goes!

I'll post pics as they happen.
If you are using the little giants readings they are never correct
I own 2 of them and I use calibrated thermometer and hygrometer

If you are using the little giants readings they are never correct
I own 2 of them and I use calibrated thermometer and hygrometer
No. This little giant is analog. No digital whatsoever.
I opened the lid. That is why the temp displayed is off normal.

Attachments

• A778F09E-7B07-401C-948A-50DAC1D7EC7E.jpeg
    A778F09E-7B07-401C-948A-50DAC1D7EC7E.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom