First time layers

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Hey all,

I have 8 birds that are 21-22 weeks old (sapphire gems, "americauna", GLW and SLW) and of those the average time the gems and americaunas are supposed to lay are claimed to be between 20 and 24 weeks.

Anyone have a more accurate indication from different generations of the breeds? Getting anxious and eggcited to see the colors my "ameraucanas" lay. I do have a game cam out to watch and try and learn who's laying what but it's not working. Always taking IR photos.

Patience, patience, patience. Projected onset of lay is a generalization and can vary greatly from breed to breed and from bird to bird within the breed. Your colored egg layers are very likely Easter Eggers unless purchased from a breeder. They tend to have an even larger time span of egg laying onset.

I have a SLW that is 26.5 wks and still hasn't started to lay--I keep hoping but nothing. I also have 2 Brahmas that haven't started to lay which are the same age. Like Sourland said, patience is key--but I know how you feel I keep checking and hoping for more than 5 eggs a day!

Back
Top Bottom