Sapphire Gems - The story so far...

gwells1980

Songster
Jan 3, 2023
Kentucky
Sapphire Gems are a relatively new hybrid so I am making this thread to keep a running tally of egg production out of my Sapphire Gem named Saphron and to ask questions about Sapphire Gem egg production and behaviors. (Yes we name our chickens)

Saphron started laying for the 1st time on Feb. 15, 2023. So far she has laid 5 eggs in 5 days. She didn't however lay an egg on day 2, instead she laid 2 eggs today on Feb. 19, 2023.

My questions are these... Is it common for 1st time layers to lay an egg without a hardened shell around it (The one she laid this morning was soft and ripped in half, the one she laid this afternoon was normal.)

I bought 6 Sapphire Gems for $6.00 TOTAL about 5 months ago from Rural King. They were 2 weeks old and had them on sale for a dollar a piece. The gentleman working there said they are supposed to prolific egg layers and if Saphron is any indication he is right.

My second question is this - Is Saphron just an amazing egg layer or can I expect that type of production from all of my Sapphire Gems?

Third question - As I said earlier, Saphron laid 2 eggs today, one this morning and one this afternoon. Is that typical for Sapphire Gem hens? (I am positive both came from her, I saw her laying the eggs.)

Anyone who has more experience with Sapphire Gems then I do please chime in, it would be a big help. Thanks everyone!

My questions are these... Is it common for 1st time layers to lay an egg without a hardened shell around it
Very common hiccup for new layers.

My second question is this - Is Saphron just an amazing egg layer or can I expect that type of production from all of my Sapphire Gems?
Also very common for new layer of all breeds.. My first year barred rocks and Easter eggers laid 21 days in a row several stents before leveling off to their standard.

Third question - As I said earlier, Saphron laid 2 eggs today, one this morning and one this afternoon. Is that typical for Sapphire Gem hens? (I am positive both came from her, I saw her laying the eggs.)
A new layer hiccup.. will NOT be common once the reproductive system is done working out it's kinks. Would be less common to have them both be intact.

Please note I've got zero saphire gem experience but lots of poultry and new layer experience throughout the years.. Yes, I name chickens too (as many of us do) .. even all 82 birds (at one point) had their names and were well known even to company!

My gold sex link.. "Goldie".. just laid her 29th egg in row.. all weighing 64-68 gram each.

Check out the video in this link which also describes many of the things that can go awry and some of their possible causes..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

I bought 6 Sapphire Gems for $6.00 TOTAL about 5 months ago from Rural King. They were 2 weeks old
Fantastic price.. should be good birds with good personalities. Blue is one of my favorite chicken colors. Hope you like them!

Back
Top Bottom