first time meat ducks

kooltex

Songster
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
NE Tx
I just ordered 20 pekin ducks from Ideal, couldn't pass up the special price. I have never raised ducks, other than a couple when I was a kid.
Any tips out there? I've raised tons of chickens, is the protein requirements higher for ducks? What about housing? I've read a water pool is good for keeping the ducks clean.

You might want to check out the duck section. Lots of info there on housing, feeding etc. Just so you know, the ducks will love, love, love to play in the pool, but with 20-the water and surrounding area will not stay clean at all. I love my ducks and the pekins are good meat birds, but ducks are messy. Mine are housed in the chicken coop at night, locked in to keep them safe from preditors. They only need a little bedding on the ground, they are very hardy and don't require anything special for housing. You'll find it's best to keep all water outside away from their bedding. They will splash and spill water everywhere. They need water deep enough to clear their nostrils, but they prefer it deep enough to swim in. I also feed mine with the chickens so they get flock raiser. Occasionally I can find goose/duck feed at the store or I'll mix in game bird chow which is higher in protein. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom