First time new chick mom needs help

Chickengirl64

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
I plan on getting a heating plate (thanks to recommendations from other posts), and set up a brooder in big plastic storage box covered with fencing (thanks to recommendations...) and put in my garage. My garage is secure and insulated but not heated.

When can I start handling the chicks and getting them used to me?

When and how do I start integrating the chicks with the 5 adult hens I have in the coop?

Thanks,

Susan

You can handle them right away! If fact I would recommend handling them right when you get them. I find that handing them the first week, and even the first days, of their life really dose make them more docile in the long run. You will want to start acclimating to your hen around 8 weeks of age. So about when they are full feathered. At 8 weeks you will want to section off a area in your coop for your chicks. You can do this with a dog crate, just make sure that they can't fit through any holes, but the hens can see the chicks and vice versa. This is the kind I use: http://www.valuecrate.com/pics/kr4202e_s2.jpg You will want to keep them in there for one or two weeks, and possibly longer if the hens show any signs of aggression. After you feel like they are used to each other you can let them out. You have to monitor them constantly during this time. The first sign of aggression than seem like they are trying to hurt the chicks, put them back in for another week. They will give them a few pecks on they head to assert their dominance but nothing more. It seems like tedious work but is the only way to transition a chick safely, in my opinion. Have fun with your chicky babies!!

Back
Top Bottom