First time Orpington owner here...

Jun 3, 2021
Serpa, Portugal
I apologise in advance for yet another Cockrell or Pullet Post. I have hatched four Orpingtons that I bought from a reputable breeder. They are lovely and fluffy and everything I've wanted in an orpington although they are less affectionate than I thought...oh well.
I'm currently unsure as to what the hell they are?! I don't know if I have pullets or cockerel? When I did my research on them I read its difficult to spot and these are! I think I either have three cockerels and a pullet or three pullets and a cockerel. They are all roughly the same size (one of the chocolate ones are SLIGHTLY smaller than the other three) and only the legs on one of them (buff) are thicker than the other three but I don't know if that's anything to go by at this age (15 weeks). I have attached pictures...I would like to know HOW to identify them so if you could please mention your method I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• tempImageDOz0OE.png
    tempImageDOz0OE.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 33
  • tempImageaiodfR.png
    tempImageaiodfR.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImagemwlof7.png
    tempImagemwlof7.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
Thank you so much, they are my absolute pride and joy. They are so quirky. The buff also has thicker legs which is why I thought that, im going to see if I can get better pics.
You're welcome! I can see why. Gorgeous birds!

These are quality English Orps. Not hatchery American Orps. They should mature MUCH slower. Hence why those wattles and comb on that buff tell me cockerel. Let me tag a couple other English Orp folks. I believe Colt is busy at work currently.

@Faraday40
@homeschoolin momma

Y'all's opinions?

You're welcome! I can see why. Gorgeous birds!

These are quality English Orps. Not hatchery American Orps. They should mature MUCH slower. Hence why those wattles and comb on that buff tell me cockerel. Let me tag a couple other English Orp folks. I believe Colt is busy at work currently.

@Faraday40
@homeschoolin momma

Y'all's opinions?
How can you tell the difference between English and American orps? I haven't developed an eye for identifying breeds or genders yet even after having chickens for almost 8 years lol.
I'd like future birds to be from breeders though. I know there can be a big difference based on lineage

Back
Top Bottom