First time quail mommy, nervous about hatch....

Thank you :) I appreciate the help!

I candled the rest, 14 looked like they weren't even fertile, but there were 3 with full grown chicks, and one that was started but didn't make it pas 2 weeks... There was one that pipped but looks like it gave up as soon as it got through the shell.

I'm happy with 16, especially knowing that that many weren't even fertile...

Now to grow them up so I can snag some eggs and do this again ;)

Finally get to hold them :D

Update!

Doing great; temps moved down to 90 days, 85 at night; they have had the matting removed and love playing in the shavings. Next is putting netting up so they don't fly into the ceiling :)

Last edited:
So, time flies!... The "Bobbles" are acclimated to our temps, and DH did an awesome job building their first home, so they got to move in yesterday :)... I had to share ;)

It measures 4' tall, 4' wide, 10' long. Nesting box is approx. 2' by 4' by 2', roosting bars at 8" and 10"...

1/2 " hardware cloth along bottom, 1" harware cloth around sides, garden netting stretched twice acriss the top, 4" under the ceiling for "boinking"... The top is open air, with a panel i can put on top.

Access panels on nesting box and below, to feed and water and possibly gather eggs...

I had 2 escape my clutches yesterday during the move, and my awesome daughter helped me find and catch the little rascals; all accounted for lol ;)

They look so much happier here than they did in their brooder :)

Last edited:
almost looks like you are going to have the same problem i did you might end up with to many rooster i have mine for a year i bought 15 chicks local breeder one died the first night in the brooder brand new heat lamp and bulb and the wire in side the bulb broke and some more things happened i was down to ten 8 boys 2 girls and then another male bob showed up in my yard and cause there are none wild where i live i caught it and put it with them( friend down the road had them and a few got out over 6 miles away) but he was also not reel scared of people but good luck and if you have any hens next year let me know or know any one that want some males no cull home please imprinted on people and perrty firendly

Well I'm hoping to select 2 males and 4 females for breeders for spring... So far, I have such limited experience with sexing, I can only "assume" uve got 9 males and 6 females?...

No clue ha-ha, I'm going by behavior and they calls they seem to make are different... And do males have the spiky heads? If so, then there are 9 males with spiky heads that chatter ALOT :D

Back
Top Bottom