First time raising meat birds - my journey of raising Cornish X in the city

Is there any way to prevent/discourage the CX from having that bald spot on their chest? I can already see it forming, and it's obviously because they are so lazy and lay around a lot. Is there anything I can do to get them standing more or are they just destined to be lazy bums like this?

CX chicks will get a lot of patches of pink skin showing through as they grow. I think it is because they are growing faster then their feathers can cover, rather than being lazy.
Ah, I see. That would make sense that they get the patch on their chest. Since they get such big breasts I bet that's why the bald spots are often seen there. Good to know.

Nice job documenting so far!
I applaud you for cutting out the middle man for some of your sustenance. I agree with the other posters and general sentiment when I say, culling animals should never be "easy". That doesn't mean we always have to be emotional when we do it, but just recognize the gravity of the situation. Take a minute to feel gratitude. Raising meat animals is such a rewarding experience. We feed them, they feed us. Their "waste" products go to our pets and our compost is used to grow stuff to feed them, to feed us. It is a wonderful cycle to be privy to and a part of.
When I first started raising meat, I told myself I would not get attached. That I would stoically care for these animals and save all my feelings for my breeders and house pets. In reality, that is not how it worked out. I love my meat animals so much. They make me feel like I am fighting back even just a little against the abhorrent practices of factory farming. They make me feel connected to what I am putting in my body. I love and respect them for it.

Long story long, Processing day is always hard. But the feeling of a freezer or pantry full of meat that you ethically raised, for me so far, is an unparalleled sense of pride and a deep, visceral satisfaction that can't be beat.

Which heritage breeds do you raise? How has your experience been?
Mostly Light and Coronation Sussex, a few were crossed with RIR. In the moment I've got a few chicks crossed with Orpingtons as well.
I start harvesting around 16 weeks, and finish around 22 weeks. If one goes longer then that they can start getting a bit tough.
Weights have been between 2 and 3kg, but they vary a far bit.

Nice job documenting so far!
I applaud you for cutting out the middle man for some of your sustenance. I agree with the other posters and general sentiment when I say, culling animals should never be "easy". That doesn't mean we always have to be emotional when we do it, but just recognize the gravity of the situation. Take a minute to feel gratitude. Raising meat animals is such a rewarding experience. We feed them, they feed us. Their "waste" products go to our pets and our compost is used to grow stuff to feed them, to feed us. It is a wonderful cycle to be privy to and a part of.
When I first started raising meat, I told myself I would not get attached. That I would stoically care for these animals and save all my feelings for my breeders and house pets. In reality, that is not how it worked out. I love my meat animals so much. They make me feel like I am fighting back even just a little against the abhorrent practices of factory farming. They make me feel connected to what I am putting in my body. I love and respect them for it.

Long story long, Processing day is always hard. But the feeling of a freezer or pantry full of meat that you ethically raised, for me so far, is an unparalleled sense of pride and a deep, visceral satisfaction that can't be beat.
Beautifully put! Yeah people around me keep acting like what I'm doing is really out there and crazy, but the more I ponder on it the more I think raising my own meat is a very grounded and sensible thing to do. I think people get the wrong impression like people who raise their own meat just love killing stuff, but it reality, it's a lot of people like you and others on here who really love and respect these birds. None of us look forward to the day we must kill them, but in comparison with factory farming, like you mentioned, it's much more humane.

Part of the lack of feathers is the "draw" of raising Cx. Especially as you are hand plucking; it will go much quicker with these birds vs heritage that are fully feathered. Even when they are out in the tractor, they will never get many feathers on their chest. And the ones that are there will be caked in poo, even if you move them 2-3x per day like I do. Just comes with the territory :)

As far as your mom - I get that most people can't handle doing this. My stepmom is the same way. She even refuses to eat the ones I raise even though has no issue eating the cheap ones from Shop Rite. You're doing the right thing here; the chickens we raise have the best of conditions before those rough last few seconds. Even "cage free" chickens are usually in a huge indoor tent walking around fecal matter and dead birds all day.

In my mind, if you cannot take a life that will provide for your family, you should not be eating meat. I treat it as a rite of passage of meat eaters, and to know they had the best lives possible. I also say a short prayer before I cull each one and thank them for their sacrifice.

I'm proud of you! (if that means anything lol).

Mostly Light and Coronation Sussex, a few were crossed with RIR. In the moment I've got a few chicks crossed with Orpingtons as well.
I start harvesting around 16 weeks, and finish around 22 weeks. If one goes longer then that they can start getting a bit tough.
Weights have been between 2 and 3kg, but they vary a far bit.
Cool! Sounds like some nice birds. If this goes well and I continue to raise meat birds, I'd like to try heritage breeds at some point down the road. I love the idea of raising a breed that the hens can be used as layers and the roosters for meat (and hens for stew when they get old), but right now I live in the city and can't have roosters. Maybe one day when I have more land.

Back
Top Bottom