First time with a broody hen

FeatheredRaptor

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
Louisiana
So I have a broody buff Orpington sitting on 10 eggs. My coop is 4 foot above the ground with deep litter method. My question are:
1 - when she hatches these out will they make it out to the food?
2 - should I move her and the eggs into the run at ground level close to the food thus seperating her from getting additional eggs?
3 - if I shouldn’t move her should I bring her food and water up to the nesting box
4 - when is a good age to move the chicks to their new home at my sister in laws?

pic 1 shows the jump up to the coop entrance and exit
Pic 2 shows the slope of the walkway
Pic 3 shows the feeder
Pic 4 shows the nesting box from the outside.

Attachments

• FC01C411-7953-4751-BD21-1751EEB8BB57.jpeg
    FC01C411-7953-4751-BD21-1751EEB8BB57.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2E45CA63-DD71-43BE-8EA4-F39AF2C45380.png
    2E45CA63-DD71-43BE-8EA4-F39AF2C45380.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
  • A28B0BA8-3B84-4A1E-BA0D-9ADDFB2E434B.png
    A28B0BA8-3B84-4A1E-BA0D-9ADDFB2E434B.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 1AA73BA8-2F3F-4814-908C-D91688C646BF.jpeg
    1AA73BA8-2F3F-4814-908C-D91688C646BF.jpeg
    829.3 KB · Views: 5
What feed were you going to give?

They'll need to be off heat before moving obviously, your sister in law might not want a lot of roosters, so possible best to wait until gender can be certified.

1 - when she hatches these out will they make it out to the food?
2 - should I move her and the eggs into the run at ground level close to the food thus seperating her from getting additional eggs?
3 - if I shouldn’t move her should I bring her food and water up to the nesting box
4 - when is a good age to move the chicks to their new home at my sister in laws?
1 - When the chicks hatch, I would move her and the clutch to a ground nest. That means in the run. If you have to, put up an old shower curtain to block wind and set her up under the coop. It will be a while before she tries to get them to navigate the ramp if she's experienced at all.

2 - Getting additional eggs?? Does this mean others have been laying in her nest since she started setting? When did she first start setting? How old is your cockerel/rooster? Have you candled to see if the eggs are developing? I do this at day 7 and again on day 14. That's it.

3 - She should not be moved with her nest at this point as she's been setting and moving her may break her. She needs to be able to come and go from the nest as she needs to poop, eat, drink, stretch and maybe dust bathe. This is why her original clutch of eggs should have been marked so any new eggs deposited in her nest can be removed daily to prevent staggered hatching.

4- When mom weans them or 6 weeks when they don't need her for heat any longer.

What feed were you going to give?

They'll need to be off heat before moving obviously, your sister in law might not want a lot of roosters, so possible best to wait until gender can be certified.
Plan on harvesting roosters or donating to the local feed store to sell. Once the chicks are born was going to do starter feed.

1 - When the chicks hatch, I would move her and the clutch to a ground nest. That means in the run. If you have to, put up an old shower curtain to block wind and set her up under the coop. It will be a while before she tries to get them to navigate the ramp if she's experienced at all.

2 - Getting additional eggs?? Does this mean others have been laying in her nest since she started setting? When did she first start setting? How old is your cockerel/rooster? Have you candled to see if the eggs are developing? I do this at day 7 and again on day 14. That's it.

3 - She should not be moved with her nest at this point as she's been setting and moving her may break her. She needs to be able to come and go from the nest as she needs to poop, eat, drink, stretch and maybe dust bathe. This is why her original clutch of eggs should have been marked so any new eggs deposited in her nest can be removed daily to prevent staggered hatching.

4- When mom weans them or 6 weeks when they don't need her for heat any longer.
1- ty
2 - she’s in the open nesting box that has 3 nesting areas. So I fear she will add eggs to her original clutch. She started setting yesterday. Any tricks to removing new eggs... she’s pretty pissy with being touched. I have not candled yet as it’s only been two days.
3 - advice on marking... first broody hen I’ve dealt with. I can also put the dividers up.
4- ty, was planning on letting them feather out so we have a good idea of cockerels and pullets. This should be before they want to roost right?

1- ty
2 - she’s in the open nesting box that has 3 nesting areas. So I fear she will add eggs to her original clutch. She started setting yesterday. Any tricks to removing new eggs... she’s pretty pissy with being touched. I have not candled yet as it’s only been two days.
3 - advice on marking... first broody hen I’ve dealt with. I can also put the dividers up.
4- ty, was planning on letting them feather out so we have a good idea of cockerels and pullets. This should be before they want to roost right?
You need to mark the eggs that you are letting her set. A circle around them in pencil is sufficient. Any new eggs must be removed.
Just wear gloves and remove her from the nest. I manage my broodies by removing them in the morning before I start chores so I can inspect the nest and monitor the mother and make sure she goes back to the nest after she takes care of herself.

You need to mark the eggs that you are letting her set. A circle around them in pencil is sufficient. Any new eggs must be removed.
Just wear gloves and remove her from the nest. I manage my broodies by removing them in the morning before I start chores so I can inspect the nest and monitor the mother and make sure she goes back to the nest after she takes care of herself.
So take her off set her on the ground and Mark the eggs... sounds easy enough. It’s her and our first broody situation. Do I do this every day?

Back
Top Bottom