First Timer ... Looking for Reputable Breeder in CT

MCBoardman

Hatching
Aug 27, 2017
Hi. I'm brand spanking new to raising backyard chickens . . . actually, my two daughters (ages 14 and 10) will be raising chickens! We have new backyard coop and are now looking for 3-4 birds. We're told we should be looking for Rhode Island Reds, pullets around 10-25 weeks old (NO ROOSTERS), as they will be the easiest, most docile, ect. but we're open to other well behaved breeds. We live in Old Lyme, CT so looking desperately for someone in CT to (desperately b/c my daughters are very eager to get started!). If you have any suggestions for reputable places I would GREATLY appreciate the reference. We know VERY little but are extremely eager to learn! Any help is really appreciated!

Mike

Personally, I would not want to start with Rhode Island Reds. But some production reds would be good. I think it is most fun to start with different breeds of birds. However, I would not get bantams and full side birds, but rather either all bantams or all full size birds.

Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity ... why not RIRs? What do you think is a good first bird? Our preference is lower maintenance, mellow, and medium size birds. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Welcome to the site...
Try this link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/connecticut.55/
Glad to meet you! A friendly :frowhello from Fl.
FARMER-CONNIE-WELCOME-300X424-1.gif

Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity ... why not RIRs? What do you think is a good first bird? Our preference is lower maintenance, mellow, and medium size birds. Any thoughts? Thanks again.
We raise reds, as well as a ton of various large breeds. Nothing wrong with reds. They integrate well with birds in their size class.
The most easiest, most docile ones we breed and raise are mottled javas. They are a sturdy bird. Get big quick, dependable egg laying but don't really integrate quickly. But very hardy.
Reds are good to start with. There are so many breeds to chose from, making your own personal decision is up to your preference and keep your geographical location in mind as well because of your cold winters.
Our winter in Florida, allows up to have birds that don't fair colder climates.
I wish you the best on whatever you decide!
Welcome, again!
Connie.

Back
Top Bottom