First Winter Tips

JerseyChicks1128

Hatching
Oct 9, 2023
Hi! This is my first winter with backyard hens and just looking for some general tips. Last winter was pretty mild in NJ (lowest was around 32 with some wind chills) but want to be prepared ahead. Some winters get as low as 15-20 but not subzero. Knock on wood. The temps are still here in the 50-60s so I have a few weeks. I have two leghorns and one Rhode Island Red thanks!

This is my first winter with backyard hens and just looking for some general tips. Last winter was pretty mild in NJ (lowest was around 32 with some wind chills) but want to be prepared ahead. Some winters get as low as 15-20 but not subzero. Knock on wood. The temps are still here in the 50-60s so I have a few weeks. I have two leghorns and one Rhode Island Red
Some general tips:
--have a plan to provide liquid water. Some people use heated water dishes, some people carry fresh water several times a day (depending on temperature). At some temperatures, replacing the water in the morning is all it takes to be fine for the day. If you are carrying fresh water, you can save bother by using warm water. It will last longer than cold water before it freezes (but don't use hot, because you don't want to burn the chickens!)

--make sure the chickens have a place to roost without wind or snow getting on them. Chicken feathers are very good at keeping them warm, as long as they are not wet or sitting in a wind. So they need a roof and at least a few walls to protect the roosting area.

--make sure the chickens have enough ventilation. People sometimes try to keep chickens warm by closing the coop up tight, but this can cause new problems (respiratory issues and humidity are two of the main ones. Chickens put out large amounts of moisture in their droppings and their breath.)

--make sure they have enough food. Chickens do not need special or different foods in cold weather, but they do need the ability to eat more. You don't want them to get fat, but you don't want them going hungry either. Most chickens will self-regulate properly when they have constant access to a complete chicken feed. Double-check the water situation too, because thirsty chickens will not eat dry food.

--If you want to provide a treat, I suggest normal chicken food with water added, so it makes a warm mash. Chickens seem to love it, especially on a cold morning when they woke up to find their water frozen (it gives them food and water and a treat all at once! And it makes the person feel good too, watching the chickens enjoy their breakfast :) ) Using chicken food is easier than doing something like oatmeal (no cooking involved), and is also healthier for the chickens. There is no real danger of them overeating wet chicken food; they will just adjust how much dry food they eat, to get the right total amount in the course of the day.

Some general tips:
--have a plan to provide liquid water. Some people use heated water dishes, some people carry fresh water several times a day (depending on temperature). At some temperatures, replacing the water in the morning is all it takes to be fine for the day. If you are carrying fresh water, you can save bother by using warm water. It will last longer than cold water before it freezes (but don't use hot, because you don't want to burn the chickens!)

--make sure the chickens have a place to roost without wind or snow getting on them. Chicken feathers are very good at keeping them warm, as long as they are not wet or sitting in a wind. So they need a roof and at least a few walls to protect the roosting area.

--make sure the chickens have enough ventilation. People sometimes try to keep chickens warm by closing the coop up tight, but this can cause new problems (respiratory issues and humidity are two of the main ones. Chickens put out large amounts of moisture in their droppings and their breath.)

--make sure they have enough food. Chickens do not need special or different foods in cold weather, but they do need the ability to eat more. You don't want them to get fat, but you don't want them going hungry either. Most chickens will self-regulate properly when they have constant access to a complete chicken feed. Double-check the water situation too, because thirsty chickens will not eat dry food.

--If you want to provide a treat, I suggest normal chicken food with water added, so it makes a warm mash. Chickens seem to love it, especially on a cold morning when they woke up to find their water frozen (it gives them food and water and a treat all at once! And it makes the person feel good too, watching the chickens enjoy their breakfast :) ) Using chicken food is easier than doing something like oatmeal (no cooking involved), and is also healthier for the chickens. There is no real danger of them overeating wet chicken food; they will just adjust how much dry food they eat, to get the right total amount in the course of the day.
Thank you! The food and water mixed is a great idea to get them extra hydrated.

Appreciate you!

Thank you! The food and water mixed is a great idea to get them extra hydrated.

Appreciate you!
You do not want them dehydrated, but you don't want to force them to over-hydrate either.

As long as they also have dry food and liquid water, they can adjust things to suit themselves (gobble the wet food first, then get more water or more dry food according to what each one thinks she needs.)

Some general tips:

It's amazing how much they LOVE their wet mash. They think it is a big treat.:wee In winter I warm water and in summer make it cold. I keep my leghorns "cooped up" if it gets below freezing to protect their combs. But they prefer being out so the tips do freeze turn brown and fall off but no other damage. Water is a challenge, they make electric chicken waterers that plug in. I have a closed loop PVC system with aquarium heater in it but I realize not everyone can do that. V

Last edited:
I use a heated dog water bowl in the cold months. That requires electricity, but I solved that problem by running a heavy duty exterior grade extension cord from the garage to the run, which is next to it.

I don't have ANY water in the coop. That way, it can't spill and make a wet mess in the bedding, leading to higher humidity. There is a bowl of feed in there during the day. The chickens have to come out into the run for water.

If/when it gets REALLY cold (single digits F), I put a bowl of snow in the coop for them to peck for water and keep the pop and people door closed. They won't come out in those temps anyway, so I make sure they have food and water (snow) inside. Yes, they will eat the snow for moisture. I give them warm mash in mid-afternoon (usual chickie snack time), and make it wetter than I normally do. We don't get those temps often of for very long, thank goodness!

I have clear panels that I put up on the west (prevailing wind) side of the run. I also use clear shower curtains to block the wind from the north and south. I leave the east side open, as that gets the least wind, and most of it is blocked by the garage.

I cover the openings in the coop with a spun polyester filter material. It cuts the draft, but still allows air to flow through. (It's designed to be used for air filtration.) I also lower the roosts in the winter, so the air flow is above the chickens' heads when they sleep.

If/when it gets REALLY cold (single digits F), I put a bowl of snow in the coop for them to peck for water and keep the pop and people door closed. They won't come out in those temps anyway, so I make sure they have food and water (snow) inside. Yes, they will eat the snow for moisture. I give them warm mash in mid-afternoon (usual chickie snack time), and make it wetter than I normally do. We don't get those temps often of for very long, thank goodness!
For anyone else who thinks of trying this: make sure you provide enough snow. For the chickens to get enough water will probably take more snow than you expect.

You can try melting snow into water to see how much much it shrinks-- in my experience, a bucketful of snow melts to become a small bowl of water. (I tried it because I wanted "rainwater" for a project, but nature was providing snow at the time.)

Also be aware that the chickens must use body heat to warm the snow up to melt it.

I can see that snow for water is a good idea in some specific cases, but for most chickens in most situations it is best to plan on providing liquid water. I notice that @Sally PB is doing this for just a small part of the winter, and makes sure to provide extra-wet mash as an additional source of hydration on each of those days.

For anyone else who thinks of trying this: make sure you provide enough snow. For the chickens to get enough water will probably take more snow than you expect.
Yes, absolutely! Very good point, @NatJ! I use a rubbermaid container that's about 12x16 inches, and fill it full of CLEAN snow.
I can see that snow for water is a good idea in some specific cases, but for most chickens in most situations it is best to plan on providing liquid water.
Yes, absolutely again. I do this when it is so cold that the chickens won't come out for water. If I don't see footprints, I know they aren't coming out.

The coop isn't heated, and when it's in the single digits, water freezes quickly. If they won't go to the heated water bowl, I take emergency action.

Thank goodness we don't get temps that cold very often!

Here in Wisconsin temps get to below 10 degrees every year. Last year it reach around -20 with 20 degree winds making it about-40. I lock them in when its below 20 degrees as i have some single combed chickens that were affected by frostbite last year.
I have a heated waterer but mine dont drink out of it as its the nipple system.
Im going to get a heated dog bowl to use
I also have rubber bowls used for horses, goats, sheep that i use for my chickens as it is easy to get the frozen water out.
They absolutely love mash and i always give it to them when its suppose to be below 20 degrees.
Then corn, mine love corn so i always give them some at night.

Back
Top Bottom