Fish question

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys!
I have a question about two specific fish in my tank. So we bought the tank containing fish from someone on craigslist. My questions are abbot the tow Gouramis, one is a 3 spot, one is a what looks like a Golden Gourami. I will get my own pics, but for now I'll steal them from Google. The golden looks like this-
1619384052101.png

And the 3 spot did look like this-
1619384098874.png

But recently, has taken on the same colors and the Golden, and gotten much bigger. He now looks like this-
1619384139676.png

I know the fish pictured above is a Blue Gourami, could he have been an immature Blue Gourami, or???
The Golden, and 3 Spot have also been "kissing" a lot. Its exactly what it sounds like, they "kiss", then move backwards and do it again. I've also tried to determine genders, and judging by dorsal fin and Google, (I'm odiously no expert hahaha!) It looks like the Golden may be female and the 3 Spot male? Ideas? I know the all the care basics and how to maintain a healthy aquarium, but thats about it haha! Nothing about breeds or anything beyond care. Thanks guys for any info!

We had a similar experience but the fish were the same type. I know some fish are able to undergo physical changes when ready to mate and I believe that is what happened. The female will store the babies in her mouth until they are developed enough. The "kissing" can be anything from aggression to a mating ritual, just make sure their lips stay intact and there is no major damage. Those breeds of fish can be very aggressive and have a pecking order much like chickens. If one of your fish is, in fact, pregnant try to isolate her before she has the babies so none of the others eat them. The mother will eat them after a while too so be sure to remove her at least a couple of hours after the last baby is out.

We had a similar experience but the fish were the same type. I know some fish are able to undergo physical changes when ready to mate and I believe that is what happened. The female will store the babies in her mouth until they are developed enough. The "kissing" can be anything from aggression to a mating ritual, just make sure their lips stay intact and there is no major damage. Those breeds of fish can be very aggressive and have a pecking order much like chickens. If one of your fish is, in fact, pregnant try to isolate her before she has the babies so none of the others eat them. The mother will eat them after a while too so be sure to remove her at least a couple of hours after the last baby is out
Uh oh. I sure hope she isn't pregnant! How would I know?

She will stop eating as much and her mouth will appear bigger. Depending on how large the babies are, you might be able to see them if you get the chance to look in her mouth. It is sometimes hard to notice. The first couple of times ours had some we did not know until we spotted the tiny little guys, but we were never really looking for signs.

Back
Top Bottom