Fish Thread for posting Pictures of our fish, tanks, ponds, and Q & A

Pics
Your betta should be fine with female guppies. In my experience, you don't want to keep male bettas with male guppies too much, depending on their disposition because male guppy finnage is more showy and could make the betta want to compete with him. Also, even though the OP didn't mention female bettas, never keep a male betta with a female betta. He will kill her. :)

The male guppy finnage encouraging competition is wrong. The Betta will keep tasting the males tails, because that's about all they can catch. Housing a male Betta with female guppies isn't an issue because the females are too fast for the Betta to catch them.
Also, no, a male Betta will not always kill a female Betta. Both male and female Betta personalities and dispositions vary greatly. A couple times while breeding Betta I had it turn into a best buddies situation. They didn't spawn, but instead hung out together. They didn't even compete for food. They actually begged together. I was curious how long they would co-exist, so both times I left them together. If I remember correctly I needed the tank and separated them after about a month. Granted, this is not typical, but you can't make blanketing statements. The males are not always the the aggressive ones. I've had some nasty females that didn't get along with any other fish. I've had several expensive males killed by females. During spawning, if a male gets too a aggressive the female can jump out and seek protection on top of a floating leaf (and jump back in when she's ready - remember they can breath atmospheric air). Males are not capable of doing that if they are a long finned variety of Betta. That, along with the fact that females are faster, sometimes males are unable to escape.

Thanks guys :) I've owned bettas for years, I've never mixed them with other fish though. My current guy (Sky) had a tail biting problem but he's growing his tail back now that he's with the other fish. Not sure if he was bored, needed more space, or something else. They all get along so far, he's sharing his food with the guppies and will take a little of their food but mostly eats his betta pellets. I'll probably keep them together so I don't have to buy a new tank. Thanks again guys :)

Ignore the odd text at the top, my friend took the photo and edited his name onto it. :)

The male guppy finnage encouraging competition is wrong. The Betta will keep tasting the males tails, because that's about all they can catch. Housing a male Betta with female guppies isn't an issue because the females are too fast for the Betta to catch them.
Also, no, a male Betta will not always kill a female Betta. Both male and female Betta personalities and dispositions vary greatly. A couple times while breeding Betta I had it turn into a best buddies situation. They didn't spawn, but instead hung out together. They didn't even compete for food. They actually begged together. I was curious how long they would co-exist, so both times I left them together. If I remember correctly I needed the tank and separated them after about a month. Granted, this is not typical, but you can't make blanketing statements. The males are not always the the aggressive ones. I've had some nasty females that didn't get along with any other fish. I've had several expensive males killed by females. During spawning, if a male gets too a aggressive the female can jump out and seek protection on top of a floating leaf (and jump back in when she's ready - remember they can breath atmospheric air). Males are not capable of doing that if they are a long finned variety of Betta. That, along with the fact that females are faster, sometimes males are unable to escape.
Of course there are exceptions to the rules, but in general, female bettas and male bettas shouldn't be left together. I wouldn't call my statement blanketing in the least bit, just a caution on the topic in general.
smile.png
I'm happy to hear that you haven't ever had issues with your pair. Others wouldn't be so lucky. Especially when there is a successful breeding, as males are the caretakers of the nests and will ward off anything, including the female betta (who may try to eat the eggs). I don't appreciate you telling me that I'm wrong, because I'm not wrong, I just have a different view on it than you. Different views aren't bad or wrong, just different. It gives the person who asked advice a broader understanding. But thank you!
wink.png

Anyway, the betta is beautiful and his name is very much appropriate for his markings.
smile.png

I just got some make and female guppies from a friend, I didn't know the breed so fast! I do only have 6? fry. Maybe the beta that lives In the tank helps out. The tank is a 12 gallon.

I also have Amano shrimp, the female had eggs a few days ago, I think she laid them.

Yes, the Betta will provide free population control. The Amano will not reproduce in freshwater. The females will produce eggs. The eggs are fertilized when the shrimp molt. The Amano shrimp larva are unable to survive in freshwater. Amano are great algae eaters. The problem you are up against is that eventually either the Betta or guppies will eat it. They love the taste of shrimp. BTW, as the female guppy get a little older it will have larger drops of fry. At around 1 to 1 1/2 years they will start mellowing out. The guppies will also eat the fry. I've seen them drop fry and turn around and eat them in under 5 seconds. The trick to avoid that scenario is to keep them well fed so they never have a need to taste them. Once they do they won't stop, or at least they never have for me.

Oh, I forgot to mention that shrimp don't lay eggs. The are held under the abdomen while they mature in the eggs. When they are ready Mom will kick them out from under her. I think its neat to see Mom jostle the eggs with her swimmerets.

Back
Top Bottom