Fish Thread for posting Pictures of our fish, tanks, ponds, and Q & A

Should go home to wrigglers in DS's angel breeding tank today - fingers crossed. Had to hold off on another spawn until now because he was using the breeding tank to grow out the last batch and kept them longer than usual since he needed them for fair (took Reserve Grand in aquatic science - DD took Grand .....third year in a row they have swept it, they took turns on who got grand/reserve every year, lol- but this was DD's last year). Anyway - moved mom and dad back to the spawn tank on Saturday night and had not even two days later, they know their job. As of this morning looks to be about 100 viable eggs left. DS is excited as this is his first batch that he'll be growing out for sale to the shop that buys the other fish we breed. He will also be inheriting DD's breeding projects once she's completely done with them - she was selected as one of four finalists at the national level for FFA Specialty Animal Proficiency and STAR Agri-Business for her breeding/selling program.....think the novelty of tropical fish helped a bit since this was the first time anyone involved along the way (judging, producing the STAR video segments, etc) had seen trops used for FFA projects.

Right on schedule - came home to find the wrigglers just starting to appear and the parents have now moved them to the first nursery spot. Not to be outdone, a new pair has emerged in DS's main tank - they have not shown any interest at all in pairing up until now, and have gone to it with gusto - so time to either invest in another spawning tank or start rotating pairs.

Hi! I know this threads older, but I'm interested in a 20 gallon planted shrimp tank, with maybe a few HERBIVOROUS fish species. I want the shrimp to breed. What fish would do good in that setting? I'd rather larger or stranger ones. I was think a kuhli loach but are they herbivorous? Thanks
-Liv

Hi! I know this threads older, but I'm interested in a 20 gallon planted shrimp tank, with maybe a few HERBIVOROUS fish species. I want the shrimp to breed. What fish would do good in that setting? I'd rather larger or stranger ones. I was think a kuhli loach but are they herbivorous? Thanks
-Liv
I have three kuhli loaches and they are not strictly herbivorous. I've never seen them eat any of my plants or any algae, but they are kind of scavengers so I'm not sure if they'll eat plants or not. Mine eat sinking pellets made for Cory catfish and other bottom feeders. I also have ~5 ghost shrimp so kuhli loaches don't pose much of a threat to shrimp.

Here is my lovely little 10 gallon tank that I haven't even had for a month(the picture doesn't do justice). Back in the day I had several large tanks(forgot how expensive these little buggers are), but this is my first time with live plants and I love them. I have 4 crazy long finned danios, 2 peppered cory catfish, a very fertile and dramatic netrite snail who makes me think she/he is dead on a daily basis and a decreasingly reclusive african dwarf frog named Bob. Last week I saw a hatchling danio and got overly excited before it twitched off never to be seen again. I freakin love animals if y'all can't tell.

Last edited:
Here is my lovely little 10 gallon tank that I haven't even had for a month(the picture doesn't do justice). Back in the day I had several large tanks(forgot how expensive these little buggers are), but this is my first time with live plants and I love them. I have 4 crazy long finned danios, 2 peppered cory catfish, a very fertile and dramatic netrite snail who makes me think she/he is dead on a daily basis and a decreasingly reclusive african dwarf frog named Bob. Last week I saw a hatchling danio and got overly excited before it twitched off never to be seen again. I freakin love animals if y'all can't tell.
Very nice tank! I love the root structure, I was going to get one for my 15 (I think) gallon tank but that would mean id have to uproot some already established plants and I don't really want to do that. You have a nice array of life in your tank, it sounds interesting for sure.

Back
Top Bottom