Fisher? aka fisher cat?

Kylea0219

Chirping
Feb 10, 2015
Varysburg, NY
So apparently Fishers have been released and naturally moving back into western NY. I am wonder how dangerous they are going to be for my chickens. Also I have heard they kill coyotes are my dogs in danger as well?

So apparently Fishers have been released and naturally moving back into western NY. I am wonder how dangerous they are going to be for my chickens. Also I have heard they kill coyotes are my dogs in danger as well?

Fisher cats can, and will, gladly take chickens. If you have already made appropriate security provisions to guard against other predators you will be okay.
As for dogs - are your dogs small or large dogs and how are they kept -- this will factor into whether there is any sort of risk or not, but I would not be overly concerned.

I've never heard of a fisher killing coyote. They'll serious injure dogs and love hunting cats. When one comes around here we keep the cat in the house or let it out into the dog kennel until it moves along.

Everything loves chicken dinner, protecting from fisher cats is no different than fox and raccoon protection.

Well my chickens are free range but locked in securely at night. So I am kind of hoping they hunt at night when my girls are in the coop.

Imagine a 12+lbs weasel nasty enough to like porcupine meat........far and away the nastiest fur-bearer I have trapped but they don't seem to be as comfortable around homes as say a racoon or fox. I agree if you have it secure from fox and racoons you will be fine, but if not it would be ugly if one got in.

Back
Top Bottom