Fixing Splayed legs

Sounds great i wondered about rubber bands once never tried it, thanks for sharing this i will try it next time i get a chick like this. I do have a question my babies have tiny legs how do you keep the rubber bands from falling off? even the tinest rubber bands i have would seem big 

I use rubber bands sold for chick leg bands and they work well. I hook three together, one for each leg and one to go between. Sometimes if either of the legs is sticking out really far the bands will slide up too high so I'll put it below their hind toe. I'm always afraid it will get sore there so I check it often and move it as soon as I can. Usually doesn't take long since they can move around pretty well and learn to walk.

Last edited:
Here is a picture to show you the size of my elastics. As you can see they are much smaller than a penny. The elastics still hang loosely around their legs which is good because you don't want to cut off circulation, however, their spread out toes keep them on. I buy the elastics at a pet store. If you cant get them that small perhaps you can only use one elastic and knot it. The other thing you could do is go to a craft or fabric store and look for very thin elastic that is used for lingerie or shirring. They also make elasticized thread. My elastics are working very well. My turkey chick is now walking without them. No sign of splaying but he still limps a little. I am sure you will find something that works.

Hello everyone!

I've been going through all of the splayed leg problems articles and I see a trend: You notice something is wrong basically as soon as the chick hatches. In my case though, both of them (I lost the first one), that isn't the case. There isn't a problem until about two or three weeks in. Then it starts as a limp, and then over time their leg starts to twist and point in the wrong direction.

They still eat normally and run around until the leg is too far abnormally moved to be used. The first one I lost not to this problem but to an animal getting her because she couldn't run away. Now I have Beard, my americana and she started limping last week. We thought it was an injury because they had all been leaping around and jumping on each other, and otherwise going crazy, then she was limping after that. I kept watching for it to heal. She was walking on it still, just a little limp. No twisting, no real splaying, nothing like that. Now however her foot is starting to twist so that she's walking on the side of it. I have her legs taped right now but I don't really know if that's the right thing to do. Have any of you heard of this? I would really appreciate some advice. I really really don't want to lose her. She started out adorable and with her feathers coming in now she's going to be a beautiful bird. I

Last edited:
sad.png
Sorry to hear about your little girl
hugs.gif

I don't have personal experience with this, but from what I have read here it sounds like your problem may be twisted tibia, not splayed legs.
You might do a search here, and others will certainly advise you.

*BTW This is not the same as slipped tendon (just looked at your previous posts).

Last edited:
new 2 pfowl;

Thank you so much for your advice! I searched for the twisted tibia and that matches my problem so much more! I am now following the advice of one of our posters that has plenty of experience with this. I feel like a monster because she is NOT happy about this, but if it saves her I will get over the guilt. I really really do appreciate your advice!

Well the one peachick that I used for the pictures is now 100%. The other IB still is shaky on one leg but it does not point out like it did. The bronze pied is much,much better but still has tape on his toes so it cannot yet get up and toodle around.
Could you explain the tape on the toes please?
I’ve done what you’ve suggested for the splayed legs, do I need to do the toes too, the pea chick was hatched under a chicken so it’s 24 hours old before I spotted the legs..

Back
Top Bottom