Flaky skin? and redness? (With Pic's)

KiwiChook

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
I've had my rescued birds for almost two weeks now. I've wormed them and started treating for scaly leg mites. (using 50/50 kerosene/cooking oil mixture, as recommended by an ANR document) I've been feeding them high protein diet and they have really perked up. (I've even collected an egg each morning for the last two days.)
Their body weights would have nearly doubled. I've noticed a few lice around the vent on both birds and will treat with DE when it arrives in the post. Their moult is almost over now with both birds looking quite well feathered compared to a few weeks ago.
I just wanted to know if the flaky skin in the picture is normal?
Also the redness in the other birds brisket? It seems to become more red while I'm holding her?...stress?

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.
smile.png

thanks.

chook2.jpg

flaky skin on my birds brisket.

chook1.jpg

redness on other birds underside.

chook3.jpg

birds legs.. Scaly leg mites I suspect?

Last edited:
The red skin is caused when there's no feathers in a part of the bird...
As for the flaky skin, they might've had breast blisters and now the skin is healing...
It's so good of you to take these little darlings.
the legs don't look too much like leg mites, but you can use a tooth brush to clean the leg scales.

Thanks, We gave them both a scrub with the toothbrush and that sure is the tool to use. They both like to 'talk' a lot and now at least one of them is laying. I'm guessing their pretty happy with their new home.
I wont worry too much about the flaky skin right now. Maybe I'll give them another couple of weeks and hope it just goes away.
Does anyone have a picture of scaly leg mites or add a link to a thread on that topic if there is one? I've checked back a way and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks again,
KiwiChook, NZ

Yep, raised scales is typical scaley leg mite infestation, though not bad yet, WD-40 will cure it, and for the dry skin, A good vitamin with biotin is what you need, I personaly use avian super pack 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water 3 to 5 days once a month, If interested it can be purchased from Jeffers or Smith poultry and gamebird supplies.. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the link SpottedCrow. not that bad yet, thankfully!

Pine Grove, a vitamin deficiency is highly likely as the birds were both suffering malnutrition before we rescued them a few weeks ago. We have been feeding them up on high protein diet and it makes sense they need extra vitamins also. I will have to check with my vet as the suppliers you mention don't operate in New Zealand. Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom