Flea and Tick Treatment in Freerange Grass

Bock-Bock-Bagock

Chirping
Oct 6, 2023
Central Tennessee
I have about an acre of area I free range my ladies in. Lots of grass and bordered by woods with a variety of trees. My dad tells me I need to spray the yard for fleas and ticks. Just the other day I pulled more than 10 ticks off of me from doing yard work.
I'm concerned about my flock being exposed to the chemicals though. Especially since they eat the grass that would be sprayed.
What are safe options to use to ward off the pests and keep my flock safe at the same time? I was thinking some kind of home made concoction would be the best option. Stuff like lemon grass, lavender, citronella, garlic, etc.
I want to rid the yard of the worst of the pests, but keep the ladies safe. Looking for suggestions.

When mites/ticks concerned me I purchased a spray that seemed to work well. There is a link below here of the spray I used. Instead of spraying it on grass I spray it on my hens every other day to keep them safe. Tick/mite spray.
Hope this helps :)

I'd be a lot more concerned about ticks on me! You can use permethrin on your clothes, and on your chickens, as directed, and of course wear long pants and all that too.
Here in Michigan we can have individual ticks that were imbedded (on use matters!) for five common tick borne diseases. Maybe that's available for your area too. The last two ticks I found on me ONLY carried Lyme disease! So, two courses of the right antibiotics to keep that nasty disease from making me ill.
Spraying your whole yard seems excessive to me, rather protect yourself and your birds.
Mary

Mow the grass short. Mow as far into the woods as you can. Trim the bushes up so there is air under the branches.

Lavender is hated by many types of insects, notably fleas and ticks. I would go around your house and coop with a bottle of water that has a bit of lavender essential oil in it. They will move away from the sprayed boundary. Next day, go out a little farther. Then, a little farther...

Chickens eat ticks and fleas, so once you get the numbers down they will probably take care of the problem.

Citronella and garlic is toxic to animals, especially birds.
Lemongrass can be toxic mammals.

Natural doesn't automatically mean 'safe or healthy', if anyone says that 'Natural' is simple and safe, chalk it up that they have no idea what they're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom