Dog killed 30+ unhatched duckling for what reason?

TopatoDuckbun

Chirping
Jun 7, 2020
I am about to go crazy and this is more of a rant. I will go ahead and say I am a cat person and don't put much effort into learning dog's thought processes. This is not my dog, but he shares the yard with my dogs, cats, and birds.

THE QUESTION:
Can someone tell me what this dog is thinking? He drags eggs out after duck has set for a month, and does nothing with them. Is there a way to make him understand that him doing that is bad?

RANT+MORE INFO:
I have a flock of constantly broody moscovys, and a weenie dog. The dog is smaller than the ducks, so any crevice they squeeze into, he can too.
I free range all my birds, but now I am locking up the broody ladies in the coop because the dog keeps pushing them off their clutch days before they hatch. I know he has the ability to get inside the coop, but has not done it yet...
He doesn't even eat them, he just takes them all out and leaves them in the yard. By the time I notice they are all dead either from puntures or the sun (~110F rn.)
I am just so irritated at him. He has done this 3 times that I know about, all right before they hatch. Plenty of other times, the whole clutch just disappears... I don't have proof those times are him, but I don't doubt it.
I don't think mustard eggs will work because he's not eating them. I don't want to spray bitter spray on them because I think it might mess with the antibacterial coat on the egg (idk what it is called but you know.)

I am about to go crazy and this is more of a rant. I will go ahead and say I am a cat person and don't put much effort into learning dog's thought processes. This is not my dog, but he shares the yard with my dogs, cats, and birds.

THE QUESTION:
Can someone tell me what this dog is thinking? He drags eggs out after duck has set for a month, and does nothing with them. Is there a way to make him understand that him doing that is bad?

RANT+MORE INFO:
I have a flock of constantly broody moscovys, and a weenie dog. The dog is smaller than the ducks, so any crevice they squeeze into, he can too.
I free range all my birds, but now I am locking up the broody ladies in the coop because the dog keeps pushing them off their clutch days before they hatch. I know he has the ability to get inside the coop, but has not done it yet...
He doesn't even eat them, he just takes them all out and leaves them in the yard. By the time I notice they are all dead either from puntures or the sun (~110F rn.)
I am just so irritated at him. He has done this 3 times that I know about, all right before they hatch. Plenty of other times, the whole clutch just disappears... I don't have proof those times are him, but I don't doubt it.
I don't think mustard eggs will work because he's not eating them. I don't want to spray bitter spray on them because I think it might mess with the antibacterial coat on the egg (idk what it is called but you know.)
I think he looks at them and all he sees is tons of shiny balls that he is possibly trying to hoard. Are the Muscovys in their own area because I suggest keeping him out of that area. You could also keep the broodys in larger dog crates. Then you just give them a small chick feeder and waterer. This is what I do with all of my broodys.

I didnt think of crating them, thanks!
All the animals stay in a ~10 ish acre clear patch we call a yard. There isn't a fence or anything but they know it's safer than the woods. All the animals stay in their own area.
I have a chicken pen and coop that the broodys are in right now. The rest of the flock stays out near this massive puddle that formed.

It's a hunting dog, considering that he's doing it on his own - maybe thinks he is hunting.. something? Usually they burrow into holes to flush out rabbits or small game or whatever so I'm not entirely sure why the eggs.

If it were me, I would just walk the dog on a leash until the issue is solved or the clutch hatches. It's only temporary anyway. I have an american akita myself who has to remain leashed while my chicks play outside, she's also going through training everyday to get used to chickens. Sometimes, you just gotta be on top of it and train the crap out of your dog to solve the issue. 🤷‍♂️

Trying to raising chicks (ducklings) with a 'predator' in the midst is a recipe for failure .You need a predator proof coop to hatch and raise baby ducks or the dog will do the same to them.Dogs can hear very well so it knows when the ducklings are ready to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom