Flea Market Muscovy Ducklings

Sosalty

Songster
7 Years
Feb 18, 2017
Northern Alabama
I've looked at getting ducks, (muscovies) for years and am ready to leap. I'm in Alabama and don't want 'em shipped from far away, plus I need black/any color, specifically not white muscovy for these free range ducks. Looks as Trade Day Flea Markets are my only option. Here's the kicker. A duck pond lady that I stopped to talk to told me that years ago, she asked for Pekin ducklings, was sold some, and they grew up to be Musovy. I guess there's 'tell the buyer what they want to hear' or just simple ignorance at these gatherings.

How can I tell Muscovy ducklings from Mallard types? Would a muscovy duckling have toe nails like a cat and not the mallard type ducklings?

There's a lot of planning to getting these birds, yet that's another story, another thread.

My Muscovy Ducklings I got from a lady quite away from my home had yellow and black splotchy feet. None of my Mallard derived ducklings ever had. I still have my female and got her another female but had to rehome my male because of overbreeding all of my flock and weighing around 15 pounds. He was huge and broke their feathers off. I never saw the parents as she picked out two that she thought were females but ended up being a boy and girl. My Girl ended up being white with an almost gold colored chest and her brother was a beautiful black with gray barred body. He was a real sweetie and it was hard to let go of him but I had to for the safety of my flock. Good luck in finding yours. Mine came from Craigslist and I see them all the time here in Ohio, both ducklings and mature ones.

Luv ducks: Ducklings of yellow/black and mixed is what I'm seeing on 'youtube.' Another 'youtube' observation is that the Muscovy ducklings do have little claws, like the toe of a kitten. The Mallard based breeds have pointed toes but I don't think I'm seeing a claw. This isn't certain but viewing ducklings, (when they become available will confirm). Crazy chicken girl seems to indicate that the feet/toes ID might not work.

Visiting a flea market, a 1st for me, tomorrow though that's to get familiar; don't think the ducks are hatching yet.

I've ordered 15 straight run "white" muscovies from 5th day farms. Hopefully I can find any color but white before the 3rd week of May ship date and cancel my order, (easy 10% fee). I like to avoid white as a hi-vis target to hawks and owls.

Luv ducks: Ducklings of yellow/black and mixed is what I'm seeing on 'youtube.' Another 'youtube' observation is that the Muscovy ducklings do have little claws, like the toe of a kitten. The Mallard based breeds have pointed toes but I don't think I'm seeing a claw. This isn't certain but viewing ducklings, (when they become available will confirm). Crazy chicken girl seems to indicate that the feet/toes ID might not work.

Visiting a flea market, a 1st for me, tomorrow though that's to get familiar; don't think the ducks are hatching yet.

I've ordered 15 straight run "white" muscovies from 5th day farms. Hopefully I can find any color but white before the 3rd week of May ship date and cancel my order, (easy 10% fee). I like to avoid white as a hi-vis target to hawks and owls.
If you are talking about their toenails, every duckling has those. Certain breeds have splotchy feet too, not just muscovy.

If you are talking about their toenails, every duckling has those. Certain breeds haveI splotchy feet too, not just muscovy.
I figured that they did but when my Mule Ducks hatched out I knew they had to be part Muscovy because of the splotchy feet. None of my other breeds ever had them but my Muscovy when they were ducklings. Also they all grew to be absolutely huge like them when they were older which was a dead give away and had colors just like their Drake dad.

Back
Top Bottom