Help with overdue Pekin Duckling eggs please!

smbanks80

Chirping
May 31, 2020
Massachusetts
I've got an incubator full of pekin duck eggs. We purchased the incubator last spring & had an excellent hatch rate.

1. I only have 2 female ducks, so I put 4 eggs in the incubator on Day 1 & set the incubator settings & timer for 28 days. I followed instructions from Cornell Universitys website.

2. I put 2 eggs in the incubator each day after that until the incubator was 3/4 full.
I was quick about it, as not to disturb the incubator settings & added water as appropriate to keep setting correct.

3. The 28 day egg timer expired almost a week ago! The first 4 eggs should have pipped by now but...nothing!

4. I've candled them a few times since then to check for signs of life.

a. 17 eggs eggs are healthy & developing. I can see healthy blood vessels & movement.

b. 2 eggs are duds (not fertilized).

c. 5 eggs started to develop but likely died. I can tell because the blood vessels appear to be breaking down into clots & air sac is no longer visible.

d. I can't tell if the 4 eggs that should have hatched already are alive or dead. The air bubble is the appropriate size for this stage of development but I can't hear or see the ducklings moving inside.

Its tough to see much of anything during the final days cuz the duckling fills up most of the egg; but last year we could see the ducklings little face poking up through the air bubble inside just before it pipped & we could hear it making noise as it tapped on the shell. I don't see or hear that this year with the overdue eggs.

I've attempted to listen to the overdue eggs with a stethoscope. The small side of the stethoscope works with a steady hand, however, I may just be hearing my own body sounds through the stethoscope because my hand is holding the egg...so I put the egg down on a secure surface & listened for signs of life again but didn't hear anything.

Muscovy ducks can take 35 days to hatch but Pekin ducks should take 28 days.

I don't want to remove the overdue eggs in case they are alive & soon ready to be born, but I worry about keeping them in the incubator if they are dead because a couple dead eggs exploded in our incubator last year & the smell & mess was so horrific, that it still lingers a year later, even after hosing & sanitizing the incubator last summer.

We used an old incubator last year, before purchasing the new one that is currently in use, which could hardly maintain a consistent temp/humidity setting, but we still had a good hatch rate, so I don't think opening the incubator for a few seconds each day to add 2 additional eggs caused a problem, especially since most of the eggs are healthy & developing.

The biggest problem we had with the old incubator was "sticky chick", which was quite sad. The fluctuating humidity level made it difficult for several healthy babies to hatch & they required assistance. A few died because I assisted before they'd fully absorbed the yolk sac. One died because I failed to assist. Another suffocated to death in it's shell while I was helping. That was terrible! I used dental floss to tie off the sacs, a blow-dryer...even did CPR on a few. :( It was very sad but we still had many healthy babies born. I didn't want to risk sticky chick happening again so we got the new incubator.

Anyway, I guess I just have a little bit of PTSD now. I don't want babies to die trapped in their eggs. But I don't want to intervene unless absolutely necessary. And I definitely don't want rotten eggs exploding all over our healthy developing eggs because it's impossible to clean without removing the developing eggs & hosing out the incubator.

What should I do with those 4 overdue eggs?

Did you calibrate a thermometer and hygrometer and add it inside ?
Bator readings are never exact
The heat and humidity would change with only 4 eggs to 3/4 full
What type of bator ?
Did you pull the plugs out or open vents at lockdown ?
How old are the moms and how long have they been laying eggs ? Did they just start back up right before you started to incubate or have they been laying at least 30 days first
Often new layers or after winter break the eggs are much smaller ti start
This leads to babies who can’t turn with a smaller egg
Do you see any bruising outside the air cell ?
When the egg is full it’s often harder ti see movement but you should see some kind of flickering along the bottom of the air cell
As for opening bator each day that will not harm the eggs
I hand turn my eggs and open my bstor 5-7 times per day as well as cooling for 10 mins and misting the eggs starting day 10 till lockdown
You can not shrink wrap a baby who has not made external pip and even then it’s not as common as people think
I’m in my bator after lockdown and still get 100 % hatch rates and never had a shrink wrap yet
Can you take a video candling those late babies and also mark the top of the sir cell so we can see how big they are

Back
Top Bottom