FLESHWOUND sunny day went horror due predator/one

Chickens are amazing in how they can heal. Keeping her wounds moist with antibiotic ointment and watching for infection. Do you have any stitching supplies?
ofcourse :) I'm close to be able to finally call myself a real vet ... Almost ! patience OUCH haha :) .
I would like 2 share a very great update !

My injured hen is close to totally cured :) !!!!!!!!!
I had eveningclass in the days that followed due a good friend , it was just the learning stuf I needed in fact !
We learned in class how to deal any injured animal with even gasping wounds where skin was lacking .
So it is close to the plastic surgery , oh excuse me it is in that case called esthetics :) , so perhaps you are now a little bit curious ? :)

What did I learn ? and how did my most precious hen finally gain back all the strenght ?

first of all we analysed the wound , luckily it has been kept sterile and taped of to keep away any flies / bugs , plus due the fact I did NOT keep the wound totally dry ( that is the oldschool methode wich is NOT the cure ! ) we decided to use my hen as the " study- object " , we could not have a better example after practicing on dead animals ( or parts of it lol ) ...

If her wound had been infected it was not going to be possible to do what we did , but now you still do not know what I did to make sure my hen could become just fine ,
so I'll reveal it :))) .
First of all , it is possible to use skin from a dead chicken too but that is an option you consider the one if she has no other skin ( in that case the dead chicken has to be kept on ice , not longer than 12 hours , 24 is risky due bacteria ) .
So we decided to take skin from a bodypart where she has lots of skin , even can be flexible , and where else then the belly can you find that skin ? :)
She already had a naked belly due she (was) a broody hen / played strippoker herself for her eggs to hatch .
We first removed the sides of wounds tissue ( that part of skin usually contains most bacteria and can easily get infected ) , size , measered the area to cover up ( in total diameter the wound was on the back 3.8 cms and on the belly it was 17.2cm , ofcourse not just a circle but that did not even really matter !
the size we took of her belly was in fact just a small amount ! we took 7-.5 cm to cover BOTH ! :D , also to make sure the belly is still flexible and she wouldn't feel pain from it .
We patched up that part of skin thus to the tigh and back , just a partial tiny little piece and you won't believe it if I can tell all of you she now is getting MORE skin from her own little partial stitching ! the skin can grow in some ' cases ' and is now looking very good !

Today she finally started laying her egg again ( she got stuck on her egg due too much of pain too ) but she is broody off which is in fact the least to worry about because it is a wiser choice she now made ( putting all energy only in healing ) , the eggs died but hey maybe some other time right ? :)) I look forward to that moment yet I first like to see her running again and chasing other hens .
So far this looks very VERY well and I can consider myself very lucky that the class decided to take her as the " study object " , I don't think I could have done it without the class so this topic ?
Yes that day suddenly got black but today I saw the sun shining very bright ( it even smiled at me :-o ) .

I DO THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL CONCERN / INPUTS ( even when you were unable to give any advice yet read it , thanks ! )
Kind Regards out of BE :))

You probably don't have the product where you are, but I had a similar injury with a hen years ago, skin was ripped off leaving muscle showing. I bought a product called Wonder Dust. It's a charcoal based powder that you puff on. It worked great for preventing infection, keeping off flies and scabbing over the area in just two days it seemed. The hen healed up just fine.

Back
Top Bottom