Flies, flies, flies!

Quote:
Just be sure to get Food Grade DE - the pool stuff is poisonous! I found it on Ebay for a decent price. Flies have been HORRIBLE here too and I faithfully clean up the poo in the coop every morning! I bought one of those "fly in, die in the container of special juice" things - put it out of the reach of the chickens - and boy does that thing catch them....BUT it smells HORRIBLE
sickbyc.gif
! I keep thinking there is a dead squirrel somewhere or something - it is disgusting!

I have been using Fly Predators for three months and hubby thinks it is helping. Our weather has been unseasonably cool so I think the jury is still out. We'll see what happens in July. They are an insect that eats fly larvae. They ship a bag of them to you monthly during fly season. You keep the bag about a week until you see the bugs have hatched in the bag. Then you spread them in the areas where the flies are a problem. The price is determined by the type and number of animals and the area you are trying to cover. Here's the web info: http://www.spalding-labs.com/

Quote:
Yep, but they're a heck of alot more effective when you double the amount you need. I've got four horses and forty chickens, I doubled my order to accomodate that. It seems to work a lot better that way. They do work, amazingly enough! But if you've never had them before, doubling seems to help them "kick" in and get things under control. JMO.

Quote:
diatomaceous earth - google it - you will find a lot of info - but if you buy it , be sure to only buy food grade DE (it will say so on the bag) as the other stuff will poison your animals!

Ditamaceaous Earth...a revolutionary product to ensure that your birds #1) get all the nutrients of the Earth, that they wouldn't get from regular feed #2) A delousing agent #3) a gritting agent #4) No longer needing antibiotics...this stuff is the bird castor oil! #5) Certified Organic!

Ummm, kidding, I really don't know what it is either...
big_smile.png
Am sure a search would do you wonders...
big_smile.png

Quote:
I started getting fly predators last month and the second batch just came and there is already quite a reduction in flies. I also added sand and DE to the run in the last three weeks and I think that has helped too.

Anywhere I see flies accumulating in the yard I sprinkle DE around and I think that is helping.

Back
Top Bottom