Flies

Crazyoop

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
St Helens, UK
Hi folks
I am a newbie to keeping chickens, 2 days and counting! Could any tell me if it is usual for the coop and run to attract a lot of flies?
Th e weather in Northern England has been quite hot recently but i was not expecting the run to attract so many flies, I should say that i only have 2 chickens a Czech Bluebelle & a Sussex Star. Am i worrying about nothing?

After experiencing the flies our run, which is right up to my house, attracted last summer, we are MOVING our chicken run! It's close to 90 here today and they are really bad already!!

Even when the run is moved, I will be purchasing some of these to hang in the new run.

Well of course you want to be concerned, flies lay eggs and yuck.
The real only way to avoid flies is to keep the old litter away from the coop, toss clean shavings over droppings or you can scoop...
sickbyc.gif
and also the farm store near you will have fly bait containers. You will place this away from the girls themselves, but if you use fresh fish, and it will rot
sickbyc.gif
(again) attracting the flies from other things.
But, the chickens love to eat flies too.
Good luck, they have other types of fly "bait" that you can sprinkle around, but I would be very against it with any other pets or birds around.
I have used a milk jug before with fish, cut a small v shape 3" above the bottom, push the little v shapes in, 4 of them around the jug or bottle, then place a bit of water and fish in the bottom and cap. Then you can throw it away. The flies will only go to the top to find a way out, and as they tire, they succomb in the liquid.
Works with some yellow jackets placing sugar in them, place them away from picnic table at gatherings.
Hope I helped. New England is extremes of weather!

either that or make one yourself! A carton could work as well, but they fill fast! Good luck and even tho they attract flies, love your chickens! Have a great day!

Rescue makes disposable fly traps that are sold in the WalMart garden center, I think Lowes carries them too. Anyway, they worked better on household flies than the feed store kind did. We had flies out the wazoo last year, PRE chickens.

The ones called Fly Motel that are made by Black Flag also work pretty well. You can get them next to the Raid in the chemical department at WalMart. They are reusable you can buy additional baits, but honestly I like to throw the whole trap away. I couldn't figure out how to dispose of the old gunky bait mixture with a million dead flies in it, it stunk to high heaven! Easier to just throw the whole darn thing away. The only real benefit to the Fly Motel is that it has rigid plastic sides, so it doesn't spill nasty juice while you are trying to throw it out. It costs about $1 more than the disposables.

I think the Rescue ones work a little better, but both are good.

The best I have found is a
can of Permacetrin powder at co-op
6.00 and is enough for 200 chickens sprinkle
a handful or two,
around and in the coop and no more flies
great stuff.and its safe for all animals.
you can sprinkle it under the wings of your flock
for the prevention of mites.

I have to say, I tried Spook's idea with the milk carton today. I used canned cat food in lieu of fish.

BINGO! I came home to dozens of dead flies in the jug. I wasn't around during the day to see how much of an impact it had on the ones flying around but I am impressed so far! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom