FLIES!!

Carladelida

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
South Jersey
What did you SWEAR by to get rid of flies? In the coop AND run.

First time chicken mama and yo. Didn't expect to be in war with so many flies. 😂 help please.
I put those liquid fly trap bags, DE and vanilla scent trees up. So far the vanilla scent trees seem to be effective and I literally just put them up 10 mins ago. I ordered some First Saturday Lime.
I am just sooo terrified of them getting mites or fly strike etc.
What materials do you put down in your run? Mine is just dirt. Just recently added a few wood chips from our yard from trees we had taken down and threw a bit of pine shavings down cause it just rained.
Need tips!!! TIA!! 😂❤️

The rescue fly traps do help, kinda amazing (and gross!) how many end up in there. I use straw in the run for ground cover and that helps poop and odor control, PDZ stall refresher is recommended by many here (for odor control). With cattle, horses, and goats living within a quarter mile of us, flies are inevitable but the ground cover and traps helps keep them down in the run/coop area.

What did you SWEAR by to get rid of flies? In the coop AND run.

First time chicken mama and yo. Didn't expect to be in war with so many flies. 😂 help please.
I put those liquid fly trap bags, DE and vanilla scent trees up. So far the vanilla scent trees seem to be effective and I literally just put them up 10 mins ago. I ordered some First Saturday Lime.
I am just sooo terrified of them getting mites or fly strike etc.
What materials do you put down in your run? Mine is just dirt. Just recently added a few wood chips from our yard from trees we had taken down and threw a bit of pine shavings down cause it just rained.
Need tips!!! TIA!! 😂❤️
PT Alpine. Spray a couple "dots" of it up high out of chickens' reach. It's like a miracle. Yes, chickens can eat the dead flies.

For the floor of our coop we use horse pellets so there's no wet poop for flies, yet they come here from our neighbor farmer who has horses. They hang out on the window for some reason, so we just put a dot of PT Alpine on either side of the window and they all die in minutes.

Attachments

• fly bait.jpg
    fly bait.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 15
  • Pellets 2.gif
    Pellets 2.gif
    55.5 KB · Views: 15
I have hung original Irish Spring soap around the run. Flies have diminished greatly. Apparently they do not like the smell of it - but it must be the original scent. Hung one by my front door and not many are getting in the house anymore either. We can also enjoy the deck w/out the little buggers hanging around. I just put them in a mesh bag and hang it out of the chicken's reach.

I have hung original Irish Spring soap around the run. Flies have diminished greatly. Apparently they do not like the smell of it - but it must be the original scent. Hung one by my front door and not many are getting in the house anymore either. We can also enjoy the deck w/out the little buggers hanging around. I just put them in a mesh bag and hang it out of the chicken's reach.

I have heard this works for mosquitos and have always wondered if it worked. I heard of a lady who would take a bar out to her patio area and use a cheese grater to grate it up and put in the lawn to keep the bugs away! Obviously we can't do that with chickens running around but I will def try the mesh bag method!

I have heard this works for mosquitos and have always wondered if it worked. I heard of a lady who would take a bar out to her patio area and use a cheese grater to grate it up and put in the lawn to keep the bugs away! Obviously we can't do that with chickens running around but I will def try the mesh bag method!
Hope it works for you!

Flies are annoying, they get in the house and think I have nothing better to do but chase and swat them.

Chickens are the same, they like to get out of their pen, if the door gets blown open and think I have nothing better to do but chase them about.

Back
Top Bottom