Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
Ok, I got a stronger flashlight and candled all 20 of the eggs in the incubator. I can see blobs and air sacks in 19 of them. #6 I couldn't locate an air sack and the whole egg looks murky. I could not get a good look at what might be inside. It is a blue/green egg. 2 of the eggs have the air sack on the side, instead of at the end. One of them is kind of rounded while the other one is kind of stretched out.

Now, #6 I kind of lost my grip on it and it tapped my flashlight. It has a star pattern crack in it but I really can't say that I did it, because if it is murky then it was either already cracked and I missed it or it may not be viable anyways. Am I right?

Thanks, Sylvia

The more you mess with the eggs the less likely they will hatch. Just leave them in the incubator and wait and see what happens. The temperature and humidity drops, bacteria and oils on your skin... All risks to your eggs.

Thank you so much for this guide! I just float tested three dark eggs that I had light candled earlier and pronounced fine from under my broody and found that they were rotten, under pressure, and about to pop! They were just blobs of yucky green goo inside; either they were never fertile to begin with or died very early. She's keeping the low floaters and I have my fingers crossed for my first successful hatch! Thank you for rescuing me from a nasty exploding-egg nightmare!

Last edited:
It's day 23 and I just did the float test and got this result

Any advice on what to do?

Back
Top Bottom