Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
I did answer her question, if today is lockdown that is what you should do, lockdown.

You cannot change the outcome, don't fiddle with them let nature run its course.

Float testing is for AFTER they have not hatched in a reasonable amount of time,

So you can decide to either allow more time or not.

Good Luck.

LOL I think answers to my questions and remarks are getting mixed up with the remarks and questions from someone else. I have to take my eggs out of the turner and add humidity for lockdown. I am just going to put them all in and worry about the ones that don't hatch in 4 or 5 days. Sylvia

I have a peafowl egg that was due to hatch Wednesday. I candled it and it was full of chick. There was a very small air sac though. Just a little larger in diameter than a quarter. Thursday, it was wiggling in the incubator. I floated it today and it very slowly sank to the bottom. Just barely touching but completely submerged. Does this mean it probably died?

My first time incubating (chicken) and the little things are being stubborn (48 hrs late and I was not wanting to open the incubator unless I had good advice). I made my own incubator so I was scared I did something wrong, but they appear to be fashionably late but viable! Thank you for the good advice.

How early can this be done with any accuracy?? My EE had a hidden nest with about 2dozen eggs! Way too many for her to hatch out. I was wondering where all my blue eggs were! Well, she abandoned her nest after a couple weeks and I couldn't see a darn thing through that blue shell. Tried the float test and got rid of all the sinkers. I have about 8 left but only 1 is wiggling in the water. No clue how far along they are :( If they're not wiggling, I'm guessing they aren't developing, but if anyone knows for sure at what day or around what day they will wiggle, that would make me feel much better about dumping them.

Thanks!!

Usually you don't want to float test until they are passed their hatch date. Float testing can push bacteria through the shell which will be detrimental to a developing embryo.

How early can this be done with any accuracy?? My EE had a hidden nest with about 2dozen eggs! Way too many for her to hatch out. I was wondering where all my blue eggs were! Well, she abandoned her nest after a couple weeks and I couldn't see a darn thing through that blue shell. Tried the float test and got rid of all the sinkers. I have about 8 left but only 1 is wiggling in the water. No clue how far along they are :( If they're not wiggling, I'm guessing they aren't developing, but if anyone knows for sure at what day or around what day they will wiggle, that would make me feel much better about dumping them.

Thanks!!
I did the water test and put them back in the incubator but they were past their due date. Ended up tossing some that I think were good because I didn't realize how much egg should be above water. Those I put in the incubator didn't hatch. I had a hen sat on her eggs for 2 weeks and then didn't go back, so I brought them in and put them in the incubator. The other hens were laying eggs there also and out of 22 eggs, I had 22 babies hatch a week later. She got broody again but a predator got her and one egg. I put the other eggs in an incubator and one hatched yesterday. The other one hasn't pipped yet so I am not sure about it.

OK what happens at day 24 float test and it appears that the chick developed but died then you crack open AND IT IS ALIVE :-((

Can someone please tell me the protocal right now it is still in the egg with the top already cracked off. She appears to be breathing but still in fetal position. omg I cant believe how dumb I am I checked them so many times and no movememnt no sound no ripples in water float. Sad day. Can it be saved still?

Back
Top Bottom